Northern Highlight - Catherine Jacob

 

 Northern Highlight

Catherine Jacob





Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I live in York. In three words: historic, vibrant, creative!

What is special to you about working with children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

The whole process is special. I came up with many of my picture book stories for my own children and some of the characters are based on my kids when they were very little, so that’s very special and personal. I often write in rhyme and there’s nothing more satisfying than coming up with a super original rhyme. I love it best when I’m completely ‘in the zone’ and the story just flies out of my brain in rhyme. It’s a weird process I guess, and I have no idea how, but it just sort of happens that way! Strangely, I find writing in rhyme easier than prose.

Published by Scholastic, September 2019

Tell us about the most recent book you've worked on or come across in your job. 

I’ve recently been working on a really special rhyming picture book for Walker Books. It’s set in an enchanted land and is being illustrated by Hoang Giang who is an absolute genius and the added levels of creativity she brings to the story are just jaw dropping. Her imagination is boundless and her colour palates are just stunning. I cannot wait for it to be out next year and see children enjoying it.

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be? 

Northumberland. I love the wild ruggedness of the countryside there. Bamburgh Beach is one of my favourite places in the world. Stunning!
 

What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

I have recently taken the Puppy Club books to the Just So Festival in Cheshire. It was a completely joyous experience, and we attended the festival as a family too. I thoroughly recommend it to all families who love books, theatre, music, and creative arts. Just fabulous.

Published by Little Tiger, August 2022

Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

Children’s Books North! Seven Stories in Newcastle is ace. A shout out to the fabulous Blue House Bookshop in York. They host loads of brilliant events.

What advice would you give to aspiring publishing professionals living in the North and Scotland?

Write what you love. Hang out with children to find out how their imaginations work and experience the boundlessness of their thought processes. Do lots of school visits, as the children in my experience always come up with super fresh and inspiring character ideas!

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland?

More in-person meet-ups for creatives to get together and talk all things publishing, give each other advice and generally get to know each other better. Perhaps more workshops about publishing generally – marketing your books, social media, what to expect at each stage etc.

Who are your favourite Northern/Scottish children’s authors?

David Almond, author of Skellig. Marie Basting, author of Princess BMX and My Family and Other Romans. Lucy Fleming, Nicola Slater and Mike Byrne, illustrator extraordinaries.

What latest children’s/YA book from a Northern/Scottish creative you have enjoyed?

Lucy Fleming’s Pond Mermaid is stunning. I'm very lucky to collaborate with Lucy on my Betsy Buglove picture books. She’s just incredible. Marie Basting’s My Family and Other Romans is HILARIOUS!

Published by Scholastic, August 2021


You can find Catherine on:

Twitter/X: @CathJacobNews




Comments


  1. Thank you very much for sharing such a useful article. Will definitely saved and revisit your sit
    Child Development Services in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield