Northern Highlight - Becka Moor

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

BECKA MOOR

Why did you become an illustrator?

As a child, I was always looking for new ways to be creative and, fortunately, my mum indulged the mess and would buy me all sorts of wonderful arts and crafts materials. I’m quite introverted and a keen reader so, once the realisation hit that a job existed where I could draw pictures for stories that would then become books in the hands of children, that’s what I wanted to do. I’ve also always had a wildly active imagination, and being an illustrator is a brilliant way to channel the chaos!

Written by Anne Miller, illustrated by Becka Moor, published by Oxford Children's Books. Design by Kate Penrose

Tell us about where you live.

I live in a lovely Victorian house just outside of Manchester city centre with my partner and our two cats. We’re very fortunate to live in a wonderfully diverse suburb of Manchester, and just a stone’s throw from the library. There’s also an amazing coffee shop nearby that sell the most delicious croissants… if you’re into that kind of thing, which I absolutely am.

Where do you illustrate? 

I have a dedicated office space upstairs in our house. Both my partner and I work from home so we’re very lucky to have separate spaces to work otherwise we might drive each other bonkers. It’s a lovely space with lots of light, and it's filled with books, cat toys and a piano that I can’t yet play very well but it looks impressive. 

 If I’m feeling a bit ‘bleh’ and the creative juices aren’t flowing as well as I’d like, I’ll sometimes relocate to another room in the house which seems to help get me out of the funk.

Written by Pamela Butchart, illustrated by Becka Moor, published by Nosy Crow, designed by Katie Everson

What for you is the 'spirit of the North’?

Community. There’s a shared sense of community wherever you go. You’ll be waiting at a bus stop and find yourself chatting away to someone as if you haven’t just met and I love that about Manchester and the North in general. People are usually willing to lend a hand, lend an ear, and lend a ladder if it helps get the job done. Even just going for a walk you’ll say "hello" and share a smile with most people you pass, and there’s something really wonderful about that. In a room full of strangers, there’s a shared sense of pride, and I try not to take that for granted. 

Has this spirit influenced your work?

Absolutely. Whether I’m illustrating or writing, I draw a lot from personal experiences, relationships and situations that have shaped me as a person who was born and raised in the North.   

Who for you are the great northern children’s illustrators?

One of the first illustrators whose work I really connected with is Kristyna Litten. I’m also a fan of Lydia Monks and Chris Chatterton. I’m sure there are many others dotted around the North that I’ve forgotten, mind!

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be? 

Knaresborough! It’s a little town in Yorkshire right on the River Nidd. I stayed there a few years ago in a cottage opposite the viaduct and am desperate to go back. I spent my time reading, watching the boats, eating ice-cream, and doodling in my sketchbook on a rooftop that overlooked the village. It was *chef’s kiss*. 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

More publishing houses and opportunities for those of us who aren’t local to London.

Written by Gwyneth Rees, illustrated by Becka Moor, published by Bloomsbury, designed by Juliette Rechatin

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

Ooh, The Secret Garden!

You can follow Becka on Twitter annd Instagram

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield