Northern Highlight - Neil Clark

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS
Neil Clark



Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I’m based in Leavening, a small village in the Yorkshire Wolds. I would describe it as hilly, windy and picturesque!


What is special to you about illustrating children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

The most special part of creating children’s books is the obvious one - seeing kids enjoy the end result. You can’t beat that feeling! As for the working itself, I love the fact that a book can be a long term project. Something to really get your teeth into, with a huge amount of thought and enjoyment thrown into it. 


Tell us about the most recent books you've worked on

I’ve got a few books on the go at the moment. I’m writing and illustrating a series for Ladybird, which is a dream come true. The first book, Crash! Bang! Wallop! was published last August. It’s a celebration of noise, and quiet. Being a quiet child, it’s a topic really close to my heart. I’m just finishing up on the second title, with the third one whizzing around my mind every night when I’m trying to sleep. 


Ladybird, 2022

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?

Right now I’m on a train to London but I’d happily be transported to the north west coast of Scotland! I’d escape the heatwave and go sailing or explore some of those glorious beaches!



What literary/kid lit events have you attended or run/been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

I’ve not attended many kid lit events over the last couple of years! I did recently attend the CBN gathering in Leeds, which (and I’m not just saying it!) was amazing!! I met so many super friendly, talented people. I’m staying in touch with quite a few, and looking forward to meeting up again. It felt great to hear about individuals and companies who have now moved North and settled outside of London. If there’s any silver lining to the horrible pandemic, then it’s the fact this is now possible for more and more people. 



Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

The Tale of Peter Rabbit was a big part of my childhood. My Mum was the real fan, and still has all the books, pictures and crockery dotted around her house! It definitely had an impact though, and no doubt gave me a sense of adventure as a kid. I love the concept of northern countryside being a huge playground - something I’m passing onto my own child now.



What advice would you give to aspiring illustrators living in the North and Scotland?

My advice would be: don’t follow the crowd! Create a passion project outside of the day jobs. Something that you love, that flows naturally and fills you with a buzz! It’s in these moments that opportunities head your way. 
Also, get out there and chat to people face to face- make friends, make connections. 
A good agent helps! Plum Pudding have made all this possible for me so I’m very thankful. I just wish they weren’t so far down south...Haha! 



What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland? 

I’d like to see more publishing companies and agencies creating bases in the North / Scotland. It is happening, which is exciting to see! But the fact I’m on a train to London as I type this says it all. It’s essential I do this in order to see the teams I’m working with and my agent. There’s such a great network up here though- publishers, creatives, indie bookstores - great things are happening!



Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children’s writers/illustrators?

Some or my favourite illustrators/authors based in the North include: Bethan Woollvin, Dick Vincent, Suzy Senior, Jarvis, Sandra Dieckmann.



What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

I must admit I'm not a huge reader (shock horror!), except when it comes to picture books, or poetry! I'm currently itching to read the new book by Jarvis, The Boy With Flowers In His Hair. It just looks like such a beautiful concept! 
The Magic Feather by Sandra Dieckmann looks stunning, I need to get my hands on that book. And I recently met Mark Bradley who's written and illustrated these amazingly fun looking graphic novels for kids. They're on my list too. So many books, not enough time/room on my shelves!







Instagram: @neil_clark_illustration

Twitter: @IamNeilClark

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield