Northern Highlight - Katie Clapham

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT 

Katie Clapham 




Where do you live, and how would you sum up the place in three words?

I live in Lytham St. Annes. The St. Annes on Sea part of it. It’s a bit old-fashioned as a holiday resort now but for the people who live here it’s always been comfortable, convenient and most importantly, coastal! Our beaches are beautiful.

 

What is special to you about creating children's books, and what is your favourite part of the process? 

I do really enjoy the actual writing part but only when I’ve got a starting point. I’m not one of those writers who has a million ideas at any one time, but when I do have a good idea, I like to experiment with different forms and styles, which can often take a story in an unexpected direction. I love those moments of surprising yourself when you’re writing. Creating children’s books is special because you’re creating readers, and a love of books is one of life’s greatest, purest joys – who wouldn’t want to be a part of that?

 

Tell us about your upcoming/most recent book

My first teen novel, Three Girls, publishes this summer. It’s a book that just sort of happened, and the writing of it mirrors one of the storylines in it; one of the girls, Alice, is teaching herself how to run. Which is one of those things you’re led to believe some people can naturally do, and some people cannot. I thought writing a full novel was something I wasn’t naturally built for, but like Alice, I put the time in and bit by bit, I made it happen. The other two girls in the book are also on journeys of self-discovery as they try new things out; they all cross paths and find new friendship along the way. It’s a book about being a work-in-progress, and being ok with that!

 

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?  

Oh Scotland, Scotland for sure. I love Scotland. I’d go to the Isle of Skye, back to the tiny little blacksmith’s cottage I lived in for three months by myself, when I decided to leave my job and flat in London and take some time out to really focus on writing. This was before I came back to St. Annes and opened a bookshop with my Mum. I’d love to go back and visit Skye again.

 

What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently (in the North/Scotland)?

It’s a been a couple of years since my first book, The Missing Bookshop, came out and I haven’t been doing events recently so I’m really looking forward to my first Three Girls events. I’m doing one with Blackpool Libraries pre-publication, along with the NYA Lit fest with my publishers UCLan. I can’t wait!

Name your favourite children's books organisations in the North/Scotland

Can I just say bookshops? I don’t mean my bookshop specifically, I mean all the amazing bookshops of the North and Scotland. I just think they are the best sort of places to fall in love with books and with things like World Book Day and school relationships for author events – they’re more than just places to buy books. There are so many fantastic bookshops in the North and many of them work so hard in getting great books into the hands of children. Libraries too, and we’re lucky in St. Annes to still have a beautiful library.

 

What advice would you give to aspiring writers in the North/Scotland? 

Take advantage of all the great online resources that are available; I’m a big fan of continuing professional development to keep me motivated. I love to do short courses and seminars to refuel me from time to time and there are so many online options at the moment, it’s a good way to stay connected to writers – and your own writing goals – especially if you live somewhere that doesn’t have great access to writers resources and events in person.

 

Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children's writers/illustrators?

I don’t think Melvin Burgess was born in the North but he’s based in Hebden Bridge these days – is that cheating? As a teenager he was a seminal writer for me. He wrote about things no one else was writing about and I loved that. More currently, one of my absolute favourite picture book makers is Jarvis, who’s in Manchester and a fellow CBN member!

 

What's next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative? 

I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on the next Bumble and Snug book by CBN member Mark Bradley. I love the colourful illustrations and the stories are so good-hearted and sweet – perfect for sharing with my daughter who is 4.  

 


Twitter @storytellersinc 

Instagram: @katieclaphamwriting




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield