Northern Highlight - Emma Layfield

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT 

EMMA LAYFIELD

Why did you want to work in the children's book industry?

I first fell in love with picture books reading Raymond Briggs’ The Snowman and, as I grew up, this love of picture books never left me.

I worked in bookshops, always in the children’s section, and went on to do a BA and MA in publishing, as I was so keen to work with creatives and understand the industry. Over the years, I’ve worked on picture books, fiction and non-fiction, but my love and passion will always be picture books.

Tell us about where you live.

We moved from Manchester city centre to Chorlton a year ago and I could not be happier living here. Chorlton Ees Nature Reserve is on our doorstep and we spend every weekend walking along the River Mersey. At one end of my road is the brilliant Chorlton Bookshop and at the other is Beech Road, filled with indie bars, cafes and restaurants. And, not forgetting, we also have Chorlton Library and the Chorlton Book Festival here too!

Where are you happiest working?

I am loving working in Hachette UK’s new Manchester office. We are based in Blackfriars House, right in the city centre by Parsonage Gardens and only a 1-minute walk to the biggest bookshop in the North – Waterstones Deansgate. We are also only a hop, skip and jump to Rylands Library and Chetham’s Library and, of course, all the shops!


 What for you is the 'spirit of the North'?

For me, the ‘spirit of the north’ is family, community, strong voices and a real sense of place, all wrapped up in a great, big bear hug!

Has this spirit influenced your work?

After 20 years of working in London in publishing, I moved back home in December 2019 to be closer to my family and to start a new role with Hachette Children’s Group focused on acquiring Northern and Scottish picture book writers and illustrators. I am also Hachette UK’s Manchester Office Lead, responsible for spearheading efforts to engage with the local creative and literary community. So, the spirit of the north encompasses everything that I do – in my personal and professional life.

Who for you are the great northern children’s writers/illustrators?

We have 320+ great northern children’s writer and illustrators in this network. I can’t name them all as this blog post would go on and on … but (sneak peek alert!) look out for the CBN Members’ Directory we are publishing at the end of the year, that will list all of our members in one place for the first time.

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be? 

Formby Beach has been a lifesaver over this crazy year or so, and a trip there always manages to blow the cobwebs away! Oh, and hiking in the stunning Peak District.


Also, my next holiday has to be to Whitby and Robin’s Hood Bay, as I’ve been dying to visit since we moved back.

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

This is simple - more children’s publishers in the North!

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

Ooh, there are too many great ones to choose from here, but David Almond and Levi Pinfold’s The Dam has a special place in my heart. 

The Dam, written by David Almond, illustrated by Levi Pinfold. Published by Walker Studio. 

You can follow Emma on Twitter and Insta

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield