Northern Highlight - Paul Morton

 Northern Highlight

Paul Morton

Why did you become a writer/illustrator? 

It’s all I ever wanted to do since I was at infant school. I never realised that I could actually go to art school instead of university. As soon as I realised that I was off.


Published by Five Quills

Tell us about where you live. 

Barnsley in South Yorkshire. Its had somewhat of a bad press over the years but it’s set in the beautiful Pennines and Peak District. We have a nice garden with a pond full of frogs (of course).


Where do you write/illustrate? 

Always from home. My illustration studio is converted from a double bedroom. Just recently, well before Covid, I also discovered the joy of writing on my iPad, in a selection of favourite cafes. 


What for you is the ‘spirit of the North’? 

The great outdoors, nature and the sincere warmth and fantastic sense of humour of the people.


Has this spirit influenced your work?

Certainly in the humour, and I think ‘wearing my heart on my sleeve’.


Who for you are the great northern writers/illustrators?

David Almond, Shirley Hughes, Brian Wildsmith.


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?

Isle of Skye, mountain biking with a visit to Talisker distillery. And carrying my sketchbook of course.

Seven Stories is also a favourite place!


What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North? 

More opportunities. Establishing it as a second centre and hub for children’s books.


What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

Skellig by David Almond.


 You can follow Paul on Twitter and on Instagram


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a note on my spooky powers. I often find cash. One year it totalled almost £60. I've found friends' lost jewellery, lost postage stamps (on a beach). I've found items that I've desperately needed at the time including bike lights, radiator bleed keys and packs of tissues. When I need something it seems to show up. Maybe that's how my first book got published, I really, really believed in it and wanted it to happen! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield