Northern Highlight - Jen Carney

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

Jen Carney 

Why did you become a writer/illustrator?

I initially tried to break into the industry in my early twenties (two decades ago) with a novel about a girl with two mums and then a picture book featuring a ‘rainbow’ family because I wanted to be part of the early movement representing contemporary families.

I didn’t really know what I was doing! I’d never heard of a literary agent and, after having my work rejected by the handful of small publishing houses I approached directly, I ended up ditching my dream to enter the world of teaching. 

Fast forward to 2014, and my son (the most reluctant reader ever!) told me he’d only read an entire novel if I wrote one! Rising to this challenge, I wrote the first draft of what is now The Accidental Diary of B.U.G. to reflect his reality by making the protagonist an adopted child with two mums. After he’d read it (and enjoyed it – phew!), the manuscript gathered dust in my loft until 2019 when my middle daughter turned nine. When I read it with her, she said, "I wish this was a real book, Mum, so I could take it into school. It’s so funny!" Another challenge! So, I guess this time round, I became an author-illustrator to make my daughter’s wish come true!

Published by Puffin (April 2021)

Tell us about where you live. 

I live in Lancashire, not far from the West Pennine Moors. It’s a lovely place – a fifteen-minute walk in one direction and I’m in the idyllic Lancashire countryside; a twenty-minute car journey in the other direction and I'm in a major town to do my shopping.

Where do you write & illustrate? 

I usually write in my home office when my three children are at their respective places of education. I usually do school hours only so I have to be quite regimented! Lockdown has made me alter my regime of course. Working early mornings and late into the evening isn’t ideal, but I guess most parent-writers/illustrators are in the same arduous boat! I can draw almost anywhere nowadays as I’ve made the leap to digital art and use a tablet

What for you is the ‘spirit of the North’? 

Family ties, resilience and not being afraid to laugh at yourself.

Has this spirit influenced your work? 

Certainly. Billie, the main character in my new series, embodies these traits. 

Who for you are the great northern writers & illustrators?  

I guess that depends how you define great! As a debut author, I think writers and illustrators who show support to other authors are great. It could be through a retweet or a message of encouragement, or taking the time to read and review your work.

Some northern writers who, like me, are debuting with middle grade or young adult books this year include Cynthia Murphy, Emma Mylrea, Amy McCaw, Helen Rutter, Melissa Welliver and Naomi Gibson (and they are all great!)

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be? 

Absolutely anywhere beyond my back garden would do me at the moment! I love the Lancashire moors and the gorgeous Bamburgh coast. I also have a soft spot for Edinburgh – that distinct smell that hits you when you disembark the train!

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

I’m new to this game and coming to it during a period of lockdown but, from my research, I’d say it’d be great if there were more children’s book festivals in the North.

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

I’ve always liked Kes (A Kestrel for a Knave). When I was teaching full-time, I loved being the bringer of classic literature into children’s lives using The Secret Garden.

The Accidental Diary of B.U.G. is available to pre-order now.

For more details, visit www.jen-carney.com

You can follow Jen on Twitter and Instagram



Comments

  1. Jen, it's so good to connect with you through your writing. I love reading about your life and your journey to writing and having your first book published. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield