Northern Highlight - Jenny Pearson

Northern Highlight


Jenny Pearson

1. Why did you become a writer?

I became a writer because I love sharing stories with kids. I’m very lucky that as a teacher I get to see the affect a great book can have. I don’t remember exactly when I decided to sit down and try and write one myself but now I’ve started writing, I don’t want to stop!

2. Tell us about where you live.
I live in Durham, in a stable. That sounds quite biblical. It has been converted so it is fit to live in! I am very lucky because my lovely neighbour is an animal rescuer and we live directly opposite a field of four alpaca, two pigs, one horse and a large duck pond. She also has two dogs, two cats, four peacocks, two cockerels and many chickens that all come wondering into our garden. It is a wonderful place to be.

3. Where do you write?
At home, in coffee shops – there are some great ones in Durham, the library, on trains - I write wherever I can.

4. What for you is ‘the spirit of the North’?
The people. Their pride. The humour. The feeling of community – both on a large and small scale. The big skies. The coast. The cities. The countryside.

5. Has this spirit influenced your work?
I didn’t write before I moved to the North, so yes, absolutely.

Published by Usborne Publishing
Illustrations by Rob Biddulph
Designed by Will Steele at Usborne


6. Who for you are the great Northern writers?
Frank Cottrell-Boyce, Ross Welford, David Almond, Dan Smith.

7. If you could be transported to anywhere in the North where would it be?
Really anywhere on the Northumberland coastline, maybe somewhere near Bamburgh Castle.

8. What would you like to see from children’s publishing in the North?
More events, more noise, more schemes, more socials, more books set in the North, more everything!

9. What’s your favourite children’s book set in the North?
Tricky, I do love Time Travelling with a Hamster – a hamster called Alan Shearer is inspired.


You can find Jenny on Twitter and Instagram @J_C_Pearson 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield