Committee Highlight - Rebecca Mortimer

 

 Committee Highlight

Rebecca Mortimer

Co-lead and publicist




What’s your role on the CBN committee, and what excites you most about it?

I'm co-lead and publicist for CBN. Being able to connect and promote the work of creatives living in the North and Scotland – there's so much talent here!

What's one thing you'd like to achieve by the end of the year in your role?

I'd like to see the number of CBN members increase even further. We have lots of exciting things planned this year and would love as many people to be involved as possible. 

What's your day job outside of CBN, and what would be your dream job in publishing?

I work in marketing and publicity at Saraband, an independent publisher based in Manchester. My dream job would be to own a bookshop (preferably by the sea!) 

Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words?

I'm based in a small village in Lancashire. Three words – countryside, wildlife, friendly.

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be? 

Whitby! I love being by the sea.
 

What is special to you about children’s books?

They bring joy and hope, they help you learn and have the ability to change lives. Being able to see yourself in a book not only helps to instil a love of reading but encourages the next generation of writers/ illustrators. I still remember my favourite books as a child.

Tell us about a recent book you've worked on/ come across in your job.

I'm lucky to have a proof of Josh Silver's new book Dead Happy, which is a sequel to the brilliant HappyHead. I'll be speaking to Josh on a forthcoming episode of The Northern Connection podcast.

What literary events have you attended/ run/ been involved with recently (in the North/Scotland)?

I've just started to work with the Just So Festival, on behalf of CBN. Stay tuned for further updates on how CBN members can get involved with this year's festival.

What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/ Scottish creative?

Not quite on my TBR pile, as it doesn't publish until May, but I'm looking forward to reading Danielle Jawando's new book If My Words Had Wings. I think Danielle is an incredible writer.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers/ illustrators/ publishing professionals in the North/Scotland?

Connect with other creatives, either through networks/ bookclubs/ libraries/ volunteer opportunities/ book events  people are always friendly and welcoming. Follow people and publishers on social media too, it's a great way to interact with people who share your interests.

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North/Scotland?

Named regional places/ accents in books. More 'big' publishers opening regional offices  the North is a great place to be!


You can find Rebecca on:

Instagram: @_beckreads
Twitter/X: @_forewordbooks





Comments

  1. Hello Rebecca. I post on X to you saying that I am confused by this organisation’s structure _ it appears to be a house without doors or visible means of entry. Is it a closed shop? I am an author and illustrator living in Darlington. A member of SoA. My first (self-published as an hardback under my own publ. co., Raven’s Quill Ltd.,) book of 176pages with over 80 illustrations - nonsense tale for 7-12yr olds roughly - sold 9,000 at £15 in the UK and on to sel over 32,000 worldwide, mainly in China. It was base around Brimham Rocks in Yorkshire, with a ‘real’ map kids could follow. My first fan was a philosopher, and I have a bundle of fab kids’ reviews (I would attach a page but cannot see how here). It would be nice to be able to talk to people here. Maybe you know how? My blog you may find here: https://alangilliland.blogspot.com/2023/10/curd-lion-kids-appreciations.html and my professional illustration blog here: https://alangillilandillustration.blogspot.com/2016/11/portfolio-page-one.html (this covers many subjects, media and styles. Please be kind enough to reply? Thanks Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive typos, had two major eye operations that affect my CU vision.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield