Northern Highlight - Clare Mackie

 

 Northern Highlight

Clare Mackie




Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I’m based halfway up a hill in a pretty cottage near Kinross and my studio looks out onto trees and my garden, and not a wall with a hint of sky which was my previous view. In 3 words: squirrels, verdant, peace.

What is special to you about working with children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

I love it when the pencils are done and the book is visually making sense. Prepping the paper for the paintings in anticipation of bringing all the hard work and discussions to life feels alchemical. Once the book is published it’s so endearing hearing children’s feedback – good and bad! And it is fun getting their versions of my artwork, which I prefer to my own illustrations.

Tell us about the most recent book you've worked on or come across in your job. 

I have to confess I’ve been mainly painting private commissions, ceramic designs, hairbrush designs, greeting cards and exhibiting. It’s been a few years since I’ve illustrated a whole book. I’m very involved with The Archie Foundation (and now a patron) and illustrated the cover of their children’s book, Archie and Amanda’s Amazing Adventure written by Alec Franks, to visually introduce the characters. l suggested the interior illustrations could be illustrated by local children, which proved to be a popular idea – many local schools got on board, and the resulting interior illustrations are BEAUTIFUL and so cheery. The Archie Foundation had an exhibition of all the submissions in the Bon Accord Centre in Aberdeen which truly was such a happy show and everyone got to meet the author, Alec Franks. All the proceeds from the book go to the charity. 

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be? 

Either St Cyrus beach or what’s now known as The Blue Door walk outside Edzell. Growing up we knew it as The Salmon Leap and The Rocks of Solitude which I find more romantic and evocative. Both beautiful walks with many happy memories.
 

What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

I moved back to Scotland two years ago after 31 years in London and Brighton, so I’m completely out of the loop, but I have illustrated the logo for the Mallaig Book Festival and for their children’s book festival too.


Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

I used to create a lot of illustrations for The Book Trust down in London which is a wonderful organisation. The Scottish Book Trust is well worth getting involved with. Recently The Scottish Gallery in Edinburgh did an exhibition featuring illustrators and quirky artists which I found so inspiring and I very much enjoy their shows.

What advice would you give to aspiring publishing professionals living in the North and Scotland?

Don’t be shy of approaching publishers or literary agents in any country. The Writers and Artists Yearbook (and they do a children’s yearbook too) gives you all the names and addresses of who to contact, and you can choose who feels like a good fit for you and your style of writing or illustrating. Talking to people who work in book shops is another good idea as they really know their stuff and I’ve found that to be so helpful in the past. I’m sure they’d be happy to read a manuscript or to look at your style of illustrations and suggest publishers.

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland?

It’s lovely to see local illustrators teamed with local writers who understand the local area, and work together to create books that resonate. My first book commission was from a husband and wife team who self-published a children’s book about Scotland. Nobody would take it on but I liked them and the manuscript so I did, and it opened so many doors for me  even in New York!

Who are your favourite Northern/Scottish children’s authors?

I recently met Molly Arbuthnott at an event and she’s such a vibrant, kind and unique soul with such a passion for books. She self-publishes and the quality of both the writing and the illustrations is inspiring. Bravo her.

What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

As a child my mother would read me Scottish Folk Tales and Russian witchy stories which would lightly terrify me and I’m enjoying reading those again. I can’t remember the book she used to read from and need to ask my sister but that will definitely be popped on my ever-increasing TBR pile.


You can find Clare on:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield