Northern Highlight - Caroline Deacon

 

 Northern Highlight

Caroline Deacon




Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I live in Edinburgh, and for me it’s stunning, stimulating and small enough so you can walk everywhere. But you need to keep looking up  the statues and incredible stonework everywhere are easy to miss!

What is special to you about working with children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

My childhood and teenage years are the ones which are freshest and most vibrant in my mind, and drawing on those memories and feelings to create something scary, gripping and entertaining is just the best thing ever. I love plotting and I love editing – it’s the bit in the middle which is hardest.

Tell us about the most recent book you've worked on or come across in your job. 

I always have several projects on the go, but the one that is dominating me right now is a battle between science and nature, land management and re-wilding, and hopefully will get readers thinking about what beauty really is. The story is, though, above all, a mystery/thriller! And it is dominating my every day right now because it’s difficult to weave all these elements in without sacrificing story.

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be? 

I’m happy where I am right now, but I do love Orkney. The remnants of ancient human history are incredible, and the light in the summer is never ending.

I also love Moniack Mhor, not only because I’m on the board of directors, but also because it is the BEST place to write.
 

What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

This summer, I chaired some events at the Edinburgh Book Festival, which is my favourite book event in the world. As co-organiser of SCBWI Scotland, I’ve been organising several on-line teach-ins for writers this year  our most recent event was about creating a spooky antagonist with Yvonne Banham.

What advice would you give to aspiring publishing professionals living in the North and Scotland?

Get the words on the page. Everything else follows.

Who are your favourite Northern/Scottish children’s authors?

We have a great tradition of punching above our weight as a country – JM Barrie, RL Stevenson, JK Rowling  and it’s great that we carry on producing fantastic writers/illustrators such as Mairi Hedderwick, Debi Gliori… Currently though, I love Ross Collins’s work, as well as writing by Joan Lennon and Elizabeth Wein.

What latest children’s/YA book from a Northern/Scottish creative you have enjoyed? And what’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

I have just read The Dark and Dangerous Gifts of Dolores McKenzie by Yvonne Banham which is great, and must also recommend Friend Me by Sheila Averbuch – it’s phenomenal.

I’ve just picked up The Ghost Cat by Alex Howard, set in Marchmont Crescent. It looks intriguing and I love the cover.

You can find Caroline on:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield