Northern Highlight - Lina Langlee

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Lina Langlee



Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I’m based in Edinburgh – somewhere beautiful, bookish and… blustery.


What is special to you about working with children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it? 

Working with children’s books is absolutely joyous! The whole reason I work in publishing is because I discovered a love of books when I was young. Really - hopefully without sounding too highfalutin- having access to great children’s books in my childhood in many ways set the course of my future.

Coming across a book, as an adult, where you feel that same spark as you did as a child is a magical thing – and one that feels very worthwhile looking for and help make available to young readers. Easily my favourite thing.

Tell us about the most recent book you've worked on or come across in your job. 

Oh, I am working on quite a few exciting things at the moment!

I had two books out in July: the absolutely brilliant teen fantasy Rebel Fire which is the second book in the Rebel Skies trilogy published by Walker Book on the 5th. Just a day after, the hilarious yet heartfelt queer urban YA fantasy Overemotional by debut author David Fenne was out from Edinburgh-based Ink Road (Bonnier).

I have also just finalised a deal for a MG series by a Scotland-based teacher (to be announced) - and I am also just about to go out with a very creepy and fun MG novel by a debut author – a northern debut author. Watch this space!


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be? 

I’d love to be sitting and reading in a cosy house in front of a big window looking out over a dramatic landscape on Isle of Skye right now (or anytime, really).


What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

Edinburgh is a (the?) UNESCO City of Literature so we’re spoilt for choice when it comes to literary events. There’s always something on, whether that’s a book launch, literary saloon or other bookish happening.

As a parent, I regularly go to Scottish Book Trust’s BookBug sessions. As an agent, I am also a member of the Association of Scottish Literary Agents as well as Publishing Scotland, with all that that entails. And as a reader, I have several events I am looking forward to, including: an upcoming event with Rebecca F Kuang, the Cymera festival, Edinburgh International Book Festival, and the launch of a new Romance festival run by my local independent bookshop.


Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

Since I am Swedish my mind goes even more northern than Scotland when I am asked this, and I feel like I have to give a shoutout to Astrid Lindgren who is one of those authors who was instrumental in shaping my love of stories and storytelling. I was, in particular, mad for anything Pippi Långstrumpa (Pippi Longstocking) as a child.


What advice would you give to aspiring publishing professionals living in the North and Scotland?

I do remember how intimidating and daunting it can feel when you’re just starting out and looking for that opportunity to get a foot in… I think the best thing to do is to get out there and get involved in various organisations and events. Building a network (both of people who are in a similar position to you, and ones who might be able to provide some mentoring/people you might end up working with in the future) can provide invaluable support and experience. And anything remotely book related can go on your CV!


 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland? 

I think there’s space both for current indies to grow and for more new publishers to open – but also for the larger publishers to follow Hachette’s lead and set up more regional offices. It promotes diversity both in terms of the workforce and the books being published. A win-win.  

 


 

Who are your favourite Northern/Scottish children’s authors?

Oh gosh. Not an exhaustive list but picture books from Morag Hood, MG from Abi Elphinstone and David Solomons, MG/teen from Elle McNicoll, YA from Cynthia Murphy.



 

What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

 

I am looking forward to reading Haarville by Justin Davies.

 

 

 

Twitter: @LinaLanglee

Website: http://thenorthlitagency.com/ 

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield