Northern Highlight - Anna Wilson

Northern Highlight 
Anna Wilson

Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I'm originally from Australia but currently live amidst the beautiful stones that make up Edinburgh. Three words: magical, storied, stone. It is such a visually rich city, so filled with people's stories, stones of rose, green, taupe, browns and greys, colourful doors and row after row of beautiful chimney tops. I love it.

What is special to you about creating children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

I think to turn blank pieces of paper into entire worlds, with their own atmosphere and emotions, is one of the most incredible things to be able to do as a human. It is endlessly challenging, always surprising, and something I can't imagine ever tiring of.

Tell us about the most recent book you've worked on.

There are two books coming out in the next year that I have been lucky enough to illustrate. The first is written by the wonderful Hollie Hughes, and is in some ways quite a sad story about a homeless boy. He lives in a very magical city though. So I have used two of my favourite cities in the world to inspire the setting of the book, Edinburgh and beautiful Tallinn in Estonia. Both have fairy tale qualities to them, and have turrets and towers and spires - key features of the book. The secondary character, alongside beautiful Quinn (the boy without a home), is a robin. I loved making the robin come alive and the relationships grow in such a beautiful setting. You'll be pleased to know it also has a happy ending.

The second book coming out in the next twelve months is with Hachette and it written by another talented writer - Maryam Hassan - and it was a story that felt really relevant to me as it is about a little girl moving from a very warm lively, tropical place, perhaps somewhere in south Asia, to a city in the northern hemisphere with far colder weather, perhaps like London or Edinburgh or Paris. Being from Australia, and also having lived in the tropics, and now living in Edinburgh, I know what it's like to pick mangoes and avocado's straight from trees, and walk through markets dripping with colour and life and just how different it is to arrive in the colder parts of the world. I happen to love the cold so it was easy for me to help the main character fall in love with her new cold place. It is a story of moving and missing home and loved ones - something I know a lot about. 



Bloomsbury Children's Books, October 2023


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?

I would like to head north! Way up to Shetland. I've never been and I love the sea and wind and cliffs and also the idea of heading north always feels like a good one.

What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland? 

I went to a fabulous meet up of other children's books illustrators hosted by the incredible Picture Hooks team. This was such a delight. Thanks to Viven French and Lucy Juckes for their wonderful generosity. 

Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

I'm actually not sure I have one. Growing up in Australia, I don't know if we have many books from the north of England or Scotland. Maybe we did but I probably wouldn't have known which ones. Since I've been here I've enjoyed books illustrated by Briony May Smith as I love the worlds she creates and her colour palette. Vivian French's incredible collection of books are filled with so much joy and I am also looking forward to Cara Rooney's book about Ants coming sometime this year (I think)! 

What advice would you give to aspiring authors/illustrators living in the North and Scotland?

I think the same advice I'd give to anyone - don't stop creating. I think it is easy to get disheartened but I do think if you keep making and making and making, and don't give up, you'll have a lovely time doing it and probably also get somewhere! If you're an illustrator, draw, draw, draw. Just don't stop drawing. Draw from the world and your life and your imagination and make lots and lots and lots of pictures. I think being tenacious and working out how to sustain a love of process are the two things I've found most useful. 


You can also find Anna on:

Instagram: @abottlefullofrain






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield