Northern Highlights - Diana Anyakwo

Northern Highlights
Diana Anyakwo




Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I am based in Manchester close to the city centre. There is lots of exciting redevelopment near where I live at New Islington Wharf and in Ancoats. I would describe it as vibrant, creative and friendly.

What is special to you about creating children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

Reading was and still is my number one passion. As a child and teenager books were such an amazing escape for me, they transported me to another world and made me feel connected to others in a way I sometimes didn’t feel in the real world. I love how great books can make you see the world in a different way. I  hope to give the same experience to young people who read my work, that sense of connection, that complete immersion in another world.

Tell us about the most recent book you've worked on.

My debut novel My Life As A Chameleon is coming out 4 May, 2023 from Atom Books, Little Brown UK. It’s a story about a young mixed race girl growing up in Lagos, Nigeria and Manchester in the UK. It’s about dealing with a parent who has mental health issues and how that effects the whole family. It’s about not fitting in and trying to find your place in the world. I hope that anyone who has ever felt on the edge of things or has had challenges within their family will relate to it.



Atom Books, 2023


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?

Edinburgh, it’s such an elegant city with so much going on, so many quirky shops, restaurants, bars and cafes. I love how you can turn a corner and discover independent bookshops. It’s a city with so much character, culture and history, it’s hard not to fall in love with it.


What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

I attended an In Conversation event at Blackwells in Manchester for the launch of Nigerian writer Ayobami Adebayo’s new novel A Spell of Good Things.

Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

Danielle Jawando’s And The Stars Were Burning Brightly. This book is set in Wythenshawe which is one of the many things I loved about it. It’s an emotional read tackling serious subjects but written in a way that draws you into the story and characters.

What advice would you give to aspiring authors/illustrators living in the North and Scotland?

To keep writing, don’t give up, try to join a writing group as feedback can be very valuable. Get in contact with published authors as they can give you advice about the industry or even mentor you.

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland? 

I’d love to see more publishers moving to the North and Scotland and employing local people as commissioning editors. I’d also like to see more stories from diverse writers based in the North.

 

Who are your favourite Northern/Scottish children’s writers?

Danielle Jawando, Mellisa Welliver, Cynthia Murphy

 

What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

Glow up by Liverpool based author Dee Benson. It’s a lovely story of a teenage girl navigating friendship, a crush and learning to love herself along the way.


 You can find Diana on:

Twitter: @AnyakwoDiana

Instagram: @dianaanyakwo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield