Northern Highlight - Meg McLaren

Northern Highlight
Meg McLaren



Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

Im based in Inverness and Id describe it as vast, airy and awe-inspiring.

 

We hosted you on the blog a couple of years ago for an interview. What do you feel has changed in the past few years and what are you most proud of? 

Well, CBN is now 3 years old so I think theres more awareness of Northern creators, and were more aware of each other too. Ive also worked with Hachette recently and they now have offices in Edinburgh, Manchester and a few other places, so its nice to see some big publishers branching out from London. 
For me personally, Im better at resting now. I used to be very impatient at waiting for notes and feedback, for things to happen - publishing can be frustratingly slow at times - but Ive learned to lean into that.


What is special to you about illustrating children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

I love seeing childrens reactions. Sometimes I forget that Im writing for someone other than me but there is absolutely nothing better than a kid enjoying your book or laughing at your drawings. As fan of picture books, I love to see new illustrators emerge, and more experienced illustrators try something new. Picture book art is really exciting.

 

Tell us about the most recent books you've worked on

My latest book is called Wee Unicorn, published by Hodder Childrens Books. Its a book about friendship, determination and realising that what makes you unique makes you great.

The characters are based on Scottish mythical creatures, and it was a wonderful opportunity to draw my surroundings and put them into a book. It was also the first time Id used a limited colour palette and painted my backgrounds, and I really enjoyed that process.

 

 Hodder Children's Books, 2023


Do you have any events planned out for the year in the North/Scotland, or any recent events worth noting?

Ive just painted my first window at my home town bookshop, Waterstones Inverness. Im doing the Wee Write festival for the third time this year. Its a Glasgow festival, the area Im originally from, so its always nice to visit the libraries there. Im also doing an art based event at Edinburgh Book Festival.

 

Name your favourite childrens book set in the North/Scotland.

Where the World Ends by Geraldine McCaughrean is still at the top of my list. I was floored by it, and I can still see it playing in head like a film. Im afraid to re-read it because I adored it so much, but I was talking to my 11 year-old niece recently and she reminded me that it might be just as good as I remember.

 

What advice would you give to aspiring illustrators living in the North and Scotland?

Its good to realise that there are a lot of us, and you really can work from anywhere. All of my books have been made in Inverness. In the past publishers preferred to meet in person, even just for the first meeting, but theres much less of that now. People are happy to meet online. Ive worked with so many people that Ive never met in person.

 

Whats next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

Rivet Boy by Barbara Henderson, Bear and Bird by Jarvis and Adoette by Lydia Monks.


You can find Meg on:

Twitter: @MegfaceMcLaren

Instagram: @megface.mclaren





Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this blog! If you are student and searching Free School Book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield