Northern Highlight - Loretta Schauer

 


Northern Highlight
Loretta Schauer



Where do you live, and how would you sum up the place in three words?  

I'm a bit of an interloper up here, as I grew up in East Anglia and lived in London my entire adult life. We moved to beautiful York about a year ago and I absolutely love it. I finally get to have a garden, and I’ve made lots of lovely new friends. I think so far my three words would be - outdoors, neighbours and history.


What is special to you about creating children’s books, and what is your favourite part of the process? 

I always used to say that creating the characters was the best bit of the illustration process, but having just written my first book, I have to say I really enjoyed the writing process too. It felt like a very immediate and energising way to get ideas down on the page, and then it felt easier to keep refining and shaping and blasting new ideas as I went along. On reflection, I think I spend a lot of time trying to get artwork looking right and it can be a bit intimidating to start, whereas when I’m writing I feel freer to just type away and correct or delete later. Maybe I should try to approach my illustration work in a similar way?

Tell us about your upcoming/most recent book.

I’m in the final throes of illustrating my debut fiction title The Legend of Ghastly Jack Crowheart as both author and illustrator. The initial ideas and narrative for Crowheart were percolated amongst the bubbling flocks of crows on Hampstead Heath, and it's somehow fitting that the finishing touches are being made here in York. We live almost opposite the Tyburn where Dick Turpin met his grisly demise, and although Turpin himself isn't in the book, his fictional compatriots are - led by the Dread Highwayman Rotten Bob Hatchet. It’s been great getting the splotchy inks and charcoal out again! The book will be out in time for Halloween in October!

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be? 

Somewhere by the sea I think. I used to swim regularly in the ponds on Hampstead heath so I'm missing my open water swimming. There’s so much to explore that I don’t have a favourite place yet (recommendations please!) Hadrian's Wall is on the bucket list, and a grand tour of Yorkshire’s ruined gothic abbeys! 


What literary/kid lit events have you attended or run/been involved with recently (in the North/Scotland)?  

This year I'm working with the Reading Agency as the guest illustrator for their Summer Reading Challenge so I'm really looking forward to visiting some Northern libraries and getting the spotlight on some book events in the North. This year's SRC theme is sports and games and the partner organisation is Youth Sports Trust who are based in Loughborough, so we are hoping to get July’s launch event up this way too. I’m also hoping to visit Seven Stories in Newcastle as I've never been, even though some of my picture book work has been exhibited there as part of their Michael Morpurgo exhibition a few years ago. 


Name your favourite children’s book/art organisations in the North/Scotland.

York itself has a vibrant art community, and I made friends with fellow artists the first week we moved here via the York Open Studios tour. I met a brilliant portrait artist who lives on my street – check her out! Lucie Wake. There is also the lovely Karen at The Blue House Bookshop in York , who is keen to get some kids book events going in store and in local schools. I’m just starting to explore so I’m on the lookout for recommendations!


What advice would you give to aspiring writers/illustrators/publishers in the North/Scotland? 

I think the same advice no matter where you live – do the work! Keep writing or drawing as much as you can. It all takes practice! Your work will sing out no matter where you live, and there are many more opportunities to get your work in front of people these days - many of them online. When there IS an opportunity to meet creatives in person – grab it with both hands, and get involved. I got a lot of opportunities early on through volunteering with organisations like SCBWI, and by pulling my sleeves up and organising my own exhibitions and events with like minded creatives.


What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North/Scotland? 


I'd like to see more working class lives and experiences reflected in children's books. The boarding school can be a great device for letting kids off the leash without their parents getting in the way, but I love stories that discover the magical in amongst the mundane and the day to day. The places that are the reality for most children. I have strong memories of amusing myself wandering around the liminal spaces between our council estate, and a derelict railway line during the summer holidays as a kid. For me, the inner world that springs up between the routines of daily life is where the best stories begin. I’d also love to see more northern, in-person meet ups and networking events. It’s so brilliant that CBN is already leading the way on these.


Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children’s writers/illustrators?


David Almond springs to mind immediately, as does the lovely Helen Stephens. Not strictly for children I guess, but I do remember Barry Hines' novel, A Kestral for a Knave having a big impact on me. It may be a bit too obviously “Northern”, but it’s a classic with a deeply compelling setting and characters.


What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative? 

I’ve just got my paws on a much anticipated copy of Woodwitch by Skye McKenna. Grim Falls Academy is a brilliant looking series on the way from Louise Forshaw that will be on my preorder list for sure, and I’m looking forward to reading all about Arlo the dog, when Polly Noakes’ new picture book with Andersen press comes out too.



You can find Loretta on: 

Twitter: @loretta_schauer

Instagram: @lorettaschauer



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield