Northern Highlights - Esther Kent

 

Northern Highlights 
Esther Kent



Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

For the last 10 years I’ve lived in Kinross, which is sometimes cheekily described as ‘40 minutes north of Edinburgh’… Actually it’s a really special place all of its own; a small town nestling on the edge of the largest lowland loch in Scotland, where Mary Queen of Scots was once held captive. Three words? Community, landscape, history.


What is special to you about illustrating children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

Writing and illustrating picture books is something I have wanted to do for as long as I can remember. I have very strong, multi-sensory memories of being read to as a small child, and of the magic of voice and images merging to become one living story. The way that words and pictures interact is absolutely my favourite thing about picture books, and for me the most satisfying thing to make work.


Tell us about the most recent books you've worked on

To date I have one published picture book, Molly’s Circus, which I was fortunate to have been invited to both write and illustrate as a Little Door Books Debut author/illustrator. It was such an unusual position to be in, but an incredible opportunity that has opened doors to many more. It was also a big learning curve! Alan and Susan’s collaborative, supportive approach at Little Door Books gave me a huge creative boost though, and the confidence to go on and re-focus my illustration towards making work for children.



Little Door Books, 2020


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?

Right now, in the middle of a winter afternoon, I’d like to revisit the Orkney islands and chase a nugget of sunset light across ancient standing stones.


What literary/kid lit events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

At the beginning of last year I set time aside to be part of The Good Ship Illustration Picture Book Course. The content and meets were all online, but as Katie, Helen and Tanya are based in the North East I think it counts! It was honestly such an incredible time of growth and discovery for my work, and with the warm community and positive vibe that The Good Ship encourages, as well as all that shared expertise, really it's like being part of a college studio again - just a very friendly, knowledgable and encouraging one!


Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

Also on the islands theme, Benedict Blathwayt’s Little House by the Sea has such a satisfying rhythm and sense of place and has always been a favourite with my children, too.


What advice would you give to aspiring illustrators living in the North and Scotland?

You do you. I’ve learnt so much about the benefits of drawing what I’m interested in, taking inspiration from what’s actually around me and making work that I enjoy. It’s very easy to get distracted by all the intimidating wonderfulness that other people are producing, (and of course it can be inspiring too) but I try hard to make what’s true to me right now and to value that.


What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland? 

Just more of it? Scotland and the North is rich with creatives and innovators and maybe having a distinct sense of place means it can be easier to make connections and feel part of a creative community. Hopefully in the future networks such as CBN will support even more individuality and celebrate and share that richness with the rest of the world.


Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children’s writers/illustrators?

Mairi Hedderwick’s illustrations and stories of slightly chaotic family life on a Scottish island are a pleasure to visit every single time. I absolutely love the warmth, humour, detail and luscious relaxed mark-making of her work.


What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

I’m a bit behind, but I’ve just bought a copy of The Sea, illustrated by Jill Calder. I was blown away by Jill’s retrospective exhibition in Falkirk last summer and I can’t wait to see what books she creates next.


Follow Esther on 

Twitter: @estherjkent

Instagram: @estherjkent




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield