Northern Highlights - Rachael Dean

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS
Rachael Dean 



Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words?

I live in a small seaside village called Ainsdale, just north of Liverpool, with a gorgeous National Trust on my doorstep. I would describe it as rural, peaceful, and welcoming.


What is special to you about illustrating children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it?

I find it really special when I’m trusted to breathe life into someone else’s words. And one of my favourite things about this is when I get that right! There’s nothing more fulfilling than when the author and reader is happy with the artwork of a book, and when I feel I can be proud of what I’ve created. It’s also a dream to be able to completely fall into to the process of creating a book, and it ends up not feeling like work at all because it’s so enjoyable.

Tell us about the most recent books you've worked on

I’ve just finished illustrating my fourth middle grade fiction title with Jacqueline Wilson, The Other Edie Trimmer. A story about a young girl who finds herself on a time slip adventure back to the Victorian era, where she discovers another version of herself, along with a whole host of other intriguing characters. Like all of Jacqueline’s books, I was totally captivated by this one, and I think it really helps to love the stories you illustrate.



The Other Edie Trimmer, Penguin Children's 2023


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?

The Lake District every time! It’s only an hour and a half away from where I live, and I think it’s one of the most beautiful natural places in the UK. Although, I haven’t been to the Scottish Highlands yet, and that place is unquestionably on my bucket list to visit.


What literary/kid lit events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

Recently I spent time at three different local book shops (Crosby, Preston, and The Wirral), to take part in signing books and to create some window displays for my book with Helen Mortimer, The Winter Wish. Although I don’t have any Northern literary events booked in yet, I’d definitely love to attend some this year!



Crosby window display


Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

I have to go with the classic ‘The Secret Garden’ by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Mostly because it’s high on my list of stories I’m dying to illustrate one day!


What advice would you give to aspiring illustrators living in the North and Scotland?

Get connected! Social media and meet up events are great for this. I love to visit bookshops and print fairs in my closest city and meet new faces connected to the industry. You never know what helpful advice you could come across, or where those relationships could lead you. Don’t be afraid to reach out.


What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland?

I’m aware that there are smaller publishers in the North, but I think it would be brilliant if there was more of a vibrant hub here, similar to London. I grew up thinking you couldn’t be a professional illustrator unless you lived nearer or within London, and although working online has offered more opportunities to creatives everywhere, I do think having the chance to meet publishers in person can sometimes be more effective. My most rewarding interactions have been from in-person meet ups, so it would be ideal for there to be more of this for Northern and Scottish creatives.


Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children’s writers/illustrators?

I love Charley Mackesy’s work. I can see there are influences of A. A. Milne and E. H. Shepard within his writing and art, which perhaps taps into a sense of nostalgia for most people who enjoy his work. I also think his book The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse came at a time when the world needed it, and I don’t think that’ll ever be forgotten.


What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

I’m late to the game, but I haven’t read Sky Song by Abi Elphinstone yet. I love that it’s a fantastical snowy adventure inspired by the wild Scottish landscape where she grew up. The cover and premise seem riveting, so I’m really excited to dive into this one!




You can find Rachael Dean on:

Instagram: @rachaeladean
Twitter: @RachaelADean


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield