Northern Highlight - Justin Davies

Northern Highlight 

Justin Davies



Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I’m based in North Queensferry, Fife, by the Firth of Forth, in the shadow of the famous Forth Bridge. It’s monumental, inspirational and, more often than not, elemental.

 

What is special to you about writing children's books, and what is your favourite thing 
about it?

I love trying to lose myself inside younger readers’ minds and work out what makes them laugh. Writing middle grade also gives me the opportunity to be really creative with my worldbuilding and shape larger-than-life characters. Without question, my absolute favourite thing about writing children’s books is meeting young readers at book festivals and on school visits. Thank goodness in-person events are back on! Virtual events are all well and good, but nothing beats the energy of a live audience of excited children.


Tell us about the most recent books you've worked on.

I have recently finished final edits on my third book and it has just gone to print – and rather excitingly, I have a proof copy right here! It’s called Haarville and is being published by fab Scottish indie children’s publisher Floris Books (Kelpies). Haarville is a darkly comic, mystery adventure with a supernatural twist for readers 9+, and I can’t wait to get out and about to share it. The setting is inspired by the atmospheric fishing villages of Fife’s East Neuk, and in particular by the east coast haar that frequently rolls in, creeping along our streets and pressing at our windows. It’s published on 23rd February, but is available for pre-order now!

Kelpies, 2023


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?

Uig Bay on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides. It’s my favourite beach in the world – miles of pristine sand, with just the oyster catchers and the odd seal for company. Me and my husband would be wrapped up in our coats and beanies (it’s guaranteed to be windy on the Atlantic coast), and our greyhound Sally would be having the time of her life running and doing zoomies across the beach.


What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?

I’ve recently appeared at Wee Write Book Festival in Glasgow. I’ve also teamed up with illustrator Jill Calder for a couple of events – at Borders Book Festival and at Callendar House in Falkirk – where we have taken groups of children on scrawl & scribble crawls. Great fun!


Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.

Anything by David Almond. He brings such a wonderful sense of place to his books, particularly through a masterful use of dialogue. I’ve also just re-read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. I saw a copy in the window of Slightly Foxed (fab second-hand bookshop) in Berwick-upon-Tweed and had to go in to buy it. I remember reading it at school and being mesmerised by the icy cold, dark, and threatening setting. I’m happy to report that I am still as struck by the setting as I was back then. I’ve no idea where in the north the story is set, but for a kid growing up in Hampshire, it seemed very far away in an especially unfamiliar landscape.


What advice would you give to aspiring writers living in the North and Scotland?

It can sometimes feel that we are far away from the epicenter of publishing, which remains stubbornly London-centric. However, there are tons of opportunities throughout the North and Scotland, with vibrant creative communities everywhere. Children’s Books North is a great example. Make use of them. Find your tribe.

 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland? 

There are already some fantastic indie publishers around, like Floris and Cranachan in Scotland, and UCLan Publishing in Lancashire. They’re proof that publishing can exist outside of the London bubble. So, I’d love to see more of these springing up.

 

Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children’s writers/illustrators?

Crikey, there are so many! David Almond, of course. Edinburgh-based Vivian French has written over 70 books and is a great supporter of new and upcoming authors. I might have left it too late to be as prolific as Viv, but her career is an inspiration.

 

What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

Just as soon as I can get my hands on a copy – a proof copy if anyone wants to send me one! – I’ll be reading The Dark and Dangerous Gifts of Delores Mackenzie by Yvonne Banham. I met Yvonne through the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators in Scotland and am so excited to read her debut middle grade.

 


You can find Justin on:

Twitter: @flyingscribbler

Instagram: @justindaviesauthor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield