Northern Highlight - Ashley Thorpe

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT


Ashley Thorpe



 

Where are you based, and how would you sum up the place in three words? 

I live in Manchester and would sum it up as vibrant, authentic… and wet


What is special to you about working with children's books, and what is your favourite thing about it? 


Knowing that you’re part of putting something into the world that could really mean something to a young mind. I don’t think the sense of wonder I had as a young reader has ever left me and I’m motivated to foster that same joy in children now. I have many favourite things but working with authors and helping make their work the best it can be is extremely satisfying.



Tell us about the most recent books you've worked on.


At Storymix we’ve just recently released book 2 of the fantastic Future Hero series, which sees a young London-born hero become a force for good in a mystical fantasy world inspired by West African mythology. And coming out soon is the second in the Lizzie and Belle Mysteries series, which takes place in 18th century London and is inspired by real-life Black British historical figures.



If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be? 


Well I do love my home in Manchester, but it’s always nice to be hiking or biking up in the Lakes!



What literary events have you attended or been involved with recently in the North/Scotland?


I was really happy that the SCWBI conference was in Manchester this month! I had a lovely time meeting other writers and illustrators as well as agents and editors. It was fun being on the ‘blind date’ pitching panel.


Name your favourite children’s book set in the North/Scotland.


I’ve been waxing lyrical about fellow Manchester writer Danielle Jawando’s YA books. They’re incredible. Going back to my own childhood, David Almond’s Skellig left an impression on me. To this day, after I’ve had a good meal I might say ‘food of the gods!’


What advice would you give to aspiring publishing professionals living in the North and Scotland?


The industry is still, unfortunately, very London- and south-centric. There’s no denying that there is an accessibility problem, especially in the current economic climate. For those who don’t already live in the south or know people who do, it can be difficult to afford to get your start in an entry level job. However, one of the big five, Hachette, have offices in Manchester, Sheffield and Edinburgh now. There are also plenty of indies and small publishers in the north but it may be a case of making contacts and offering services as a freelancer to get a break. There are also organisations such as the Society of Young Publishers that have regional branches - and programmes such as Creative Access - to help publishing hopefuls.


What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North and Scotland?

 

On a lot of writing programmes and in competitions, I still see dominance of writers from the south. I’d love to see more children’s writers in the north coming through and being mentored and championed.


Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children’s writers/illustrators?


I have loved Struan Murphy’s Orphans of the Tide trilogy. As far as I’m concerned they’re modern classics and I’m excited to see what comes next for him.


What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?


I’m looking forward to the 2023 debuts of two fellow Manchester writers: Kimberly Whittam’s Quiet Storm and Diana Anyakwo’s My life as a Chameleon.



You can find Ashley on:


Twitter: @healthyprose





Comments

  1. I like that you found a way to help people and make them feel better by using your blog and resources that you have. I also appreciate how you included a list of books to read. It's always great to hear from other people and see other people's beliefs. Digital Marketing Agency in USA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield