Northern Highlights - Maisie Chan

 

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT 

Maisie Chan 




Where do you live, and how would you sum up the place in three words?

I live in the West End of Glasgow. Three words to describe the area that I live in: vibrant, creative, friendly


What is special to you about creating children’s book, and what is your favourite part

of the process?

Creating stories for children is really a brilliant job to have. I get to use my imagination, play with ideas, and come up with characters and scenarios that I think might be of interest or can help some children; that is quite special! I hope that readers find the stories I write accessible, engaging and fun. Being a children’s author is a dream job for me. Two days are never the same. My favourite part is the relief of having readers enjoy and engage with a story I’ve written. I do like creating new stories and often it is enjoyable, but sometimes it’s hard too! Some stories come fully formed, others need to be teased out and worked repeatedly.


Tell us about your upcoming/most recent book?

I’m excited to tell readers about my new novel: Keep Dancing, Lizzie Chu, published by Piccadilly Press. It’s my second novel for children and it's quite different from Danny Chung Does Not Do Maths which was my debut. It’s about a Scottish Chinese girl whose grandfather (Wai Gong, which means mother’s father) is acting a little strangely. It has dancing, cosplay, Chinese deities and a road trip to Blackpool. It’s essentially about a young carer. The book starts in Glasgow’s West End and it’s my first novel that has a Scottish and northern Setting. I have to thank Susan Brownrigg (author of Gracie Fairshaw and Trouble at the Tower) for her massive help in getting the Blackpool scenes right. She sent me loads of photos and video clips of Blackpool and the Tower. I wouldn’t have been able to add the details I did without her help!



 Bonnier Books, June 2022


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now – where

would that be?

I really LOVE the beach in Nairn so I’d love to go back there. We stayed there during the summer in 2020 when you couldn't really go abroad, and it was our only holiday during that year. It’s close to the Cairngorms and Inverness so you can explore the Black Isles and lots of places in the Highlands from there.


What literary/kid lit events have you attended or run/ been involved with recently in

the North/Scotland?


I’ve been part of the Read to Succeed Author Tour of North Lanarkshire high schools. I gave talks and workshops at four high schools with their S1 pupils (11–13-year-olds) and that was cool. I think I get more nervous going into high schools than primary schools! But the pupils were engaged and asked brilliant questions. Danny Chung Does Not Do Maths is also part of READ WOKE South Ayrshire which seeks to introduce books to pupils that have a social justice angle. I’ve created some video content for schools using that scheme. Scotland has been wonderful in its support of me and Danny Chung Does Not Do Maths.


Name your favourite children’s book/art organisation in the North/Scotland.

My favourite children’s art organisation in Scotland is Scottish Book Trust. They’ve been amazing since I moved here five years ago. The staff are friendly and helpful. A lot of my school visits are partly funded by them. They are such a brilliant organisation and do important work. Their work getting books to disadvantaged children is commendable, and they support authors both new and established. We’re so lucky to have them.


What advice would you give to aspiring writers in the north/Scotland?

Find networks or workshops you can join to learn more about the craft and about publishing. Join SCBWI SCOTLAND if you feel isolated with your writing and don’t know other children’s writers. If you need critique partners this is a good way to find them. Listen to feedback from those who might know more. I often see aspiring writers give up vert easily. They might write one book, then immediately try to get an agent or publisher for it. Often that is not how it works. It can and does take many years and many tries before you find a publisher. Think about who you want to read your work; could you self- publish or find other ways to have readers read your work?  If you do get a book deal, are you ready for the other aspects such as promotion, deadlines, and extra admin? Being a children’s author is brilliant, but it’s not always easy.


What would you like to see from children’s publishing in the North/Scotland?

I’m happy to see more agencies and publishers expanding beyond London. I would like to see more of that. I would love to see more writers of colour coming out of Scotland and the North. There are very few in Scotland right now.


Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish writers/illustrators?

Lindsay Littleson can write anything! Books about girls having mixed up summer holidays, unicorns, historical fiction and more. I think she’s one of the best Scottish children’s authors out there and her books always have a Scottish location in them.


What is next on your TBR pile by a Northern Scottish creative?

Only on the Weekends by Dean Atta!



Twitter: @maisiewrites

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield