Northern Highlights - Rowena Aitken

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS

Rowena Aitken 


Where do you live, and how would you sum up the place in three words?

I live in the middle of Edinburgh and the three words I'd use to sum it up are "full of culture".


What is special to you about creating children's books, and what is your favourite part of the process?

I love adding in little silly details. Things you don't initially notice but you see something funny in the background such as the pair of y-fronts in the washing machine (with PAN:TS on the setting display!) in the kitchen scene in The Bum That Barked.



The Bum That Barked by Elisa Peacock and Rowena Aitken - Tiny Tree Books, 2020



Tell us about your upcoming/most recent book

My latest book is called Princess Peanut, Be Polite by Ren Cummins - a tale about a princess who's known as Peanut. She is very stuck in her ways when it comes to what she likes to eat; or is she? 


Princess Peanut, Be Polite - Publication date to be confirmed


If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?

A cottage in the middle of the highlands with nothing but trees around me in the middle of winter with lots of snow and an open fire. Oh and of course with my other half Andrew & our cat Pixel!


What literary events have you been involved with recently (in the North/Scotland)?

Due to the events of the last two years I have not been part of any literary events however I'd love to get back to some this year.


Name your favourite children's book/art organisations in the North/Scotland

I would have to say Dundee Contemporary Arts, as I frequently visited there during my time at Duncan of Jordanstone, University of Dundee.


What advice would you give to aspiring illustrators in the North/Scotland?

Don't feel that because you're not in London or any of the larger cities of the world that you cannot compete with those who are. Your work speaks for itself and be proud of what you and your unique life brings to your craft.


Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children's writers/illustrators?

I have to say my friend Louise Forshaw who's work is stunning, she's an incredibly hard worker and fantastic author - and a lovely person to boot!


What's next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?

Not so much a creative but I'm looking forward to reading Written In Bone: hidden stories in what we leave behind by Professor Sue Black - I have a love of forensics, science and anatomy which may seem at odds with being a children's book illustrator but here we are!



Twitter:  @rowenaaitken

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield