Northern Highlights: Maria Rifiuti

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS  

MARIA RIFIUTI

 1.     Where do you live, and how would you sum up the place in three words?  
I live in a small town in Cheshire with my partner Sam. My town is practical, green and a bit snazzy. There is a lovely cinema, a French café with the best pain aux chocolate for lazy Saturday mornings, and lots of lovely parks to walk in nature.

 2.     What is special to you about creating children’s books, and what is your favourite part of the process?  

The connection and collaboration between different departments within the publishing house. My team organises something called Magic Triangle, where people from Editorial, Sales and Marketing meet up to discuss new publishing ideas, sales strategies and more. There couldn’t be a better name for it - it is truly magical.


 3.     Tell us about the most recent books you’ve worked on.

When I was a Project Editor at Tresei Scuola, a small Italian Educational publisher, I worked on a series of amazing fiction and picture books. One of my favourites is “Un Attimo”, which tells the story of a small dragon who is always late. At Oxford University Press, I help promote wonderful resources for Primary schools internationally, such as Biff, Chip and Kipper stories.

Author-illustrator: Lorenzo Naia
Publisher: Tresei Scuola
 
Publisher: OUP


4.  If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?

I would love to go back to Beatrix Potter’s house in the Lake District. There is something quite magical about it. I also wouldn’t say "no" to a day in York for a walk along the city walls and a stop for tea at Bettys.


5.     What literary/kid lit events have you attended or run/been involved with recently in the North?

 I haven’t been able to go to any events just yet, but really looking forward to the new year and more restrictions easing so I can travel around more. My goal for the start of the new year is to make a calendar of all interesting publishing events around my hometown. 


6.     Name your favourite children’s book set in the North.

My Name is Mina, by David Almond, is probably one of my favourite books of all times. I love how the author covers many important subjects through Mina’s peculiar thoughts and dreams. I also grew up reading many Anne Fine’s books – my favourites are Flour Babies and Madame Doubtfire.


7.     What advice would you give to aspiring publishers living in the North? 

Despite what you may think, you are in the right place to pursue a career in publishing! There are many amazing publishing courses in the North, such as the UCLan Publishing MA and the Mlitt Publishing Studies at Stirling University, and some big publishers like Hachette UK and HarperNorth are now based in Manchester.

A few companies are now offering hybrid working opportunities and opening recruitment for people who will be working mostly remotely, which is an exciting step forward too. There is also the amazing SYP North, that offers career support to all aspiring publishing professionals. Look around and you will see wonders! 


8.     What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North? 

I would love to keep seeing publishing breaking out of the London bubble, with more publishing professionals and creatives living and working in the North. I would love to see new books reaching readers across the UK and beyond, telling stories from different perspectives so that everyone feels represented. I am also excited to see what the CBN has in store for the new year and I am open to any new ideas to get connected with other creatives based in the North. 


9.     Who for you are the great Northern children’s writers/illustrators?

Whilst volunteering for CBN, I got to know so many different writers and illustrators based in the North so it would be reductive to just name a few. There is so much talent around here, and I am really looking forward to reading more and more stories by these amazing authors and illustrators.


10.  What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern creative?

I have got two books at the top of my reading list: Eden Summer by Liz Flanagan and The Castle of Tangled Magic by Sophie Anderson. 

 

You can follow Maria at:

Twitter: @MariaRifiuti 

Instagram: msmarygold


 





 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield