Northern Highlight - Aoife Greenham

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

AOIFE GREENHAM 

Where do you live, and how would you sum up the place in three words?

I live in leafy, friendly, bustling Whalley Range in South Manchester

What is special to you about creating children’s books, and what is your favourite
part of the process?
I love making characters and worlds for my characters to live in! My favourite part is sketchbooking and finding out about who the characters are, even if all the sketchbook work never makes it in to the final book.

Tell us about your most recent book.
Big Dance came out in August with Childsplay. It's my debut book and I'm really enjoying seeing it travel around the world and into children's homes. My favourite bit is seeing kids' reactions to the book; I get sent little dances! Fantastic.

Published by Childsplay

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North/Scotland right now, where would it be?
I'd head up up up to Skye with a sketchbook and full supply of paints and inks, my winter mittens and a thermos. Heaven.

What literary/kid lit events have you attended or run/been involved with recently?
Nothing in the North/Scotland so far, but I just took part in a 'New Irish Picturebooks' event with Wonderfest in Ireland, which was really great fun.

Name your favourite children’s art organisations in the North/Scotland.
Children's Books North of course!

What advice would you give to aspiring writers/illustrators/publishers in the
North/Scotland?
Work hard, follow what you love, and never work for free!

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North/Scotland?
More diversity in children's books - those being represented, those being published and those doing the publishing - reflecting the rich mix of cultures in the North and Scotland.

Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children’s illustrators?
Maisie Paradise Shearring was one of my tutors on the MA in children's book illustration at the Cambridge School of Art, and I learned so so much from her warmth, her wit and humour, and her dedication to her art and craft. She's based in Hull (is that north?), and I love the way she brings her detailed observational drawings into her picture books. Her work is full of feeling and I love it.
Also Helen Stephens has such a beautiful way of bringing her observational drawing into her imaginative work. I love her use of different drawing implements!

What’s next on your TBR pile by a Northern/Scottish creative?
Amara and the Bats by Manchester creative Emma Reynolds!



You can follow Aoife on Instagram and Twitter

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield