Northern Highlight - Jonathan Meres

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

JONATHAN MERES

                               Why did you become a children’s writer? 

My stock flippant answer is that it was the only job left that I still hadn’t done. My slightly more serious answer is that I never actually set out to become a children’s author. Having said that, I’m not in the least bit surprised that I did. Everything just kind of led up to that point in my life, 22 years ago – acting in a children’s theatre company, writing for and appearing on children’s TV, even doing stand-up for 10 years, all put me in good stead. I’ve always been at ease in the company of children, long before I had any of my own. I like them. I like talking to them and making them laugh. So, it might sound a bit glib, but it just kind of happened. And I’m extremely glad it did.

 

written by Jonathan Meres, illustrated by Katy Halford, published by Barrington Stoke

Tell us about where you live. 

I’ve lived in Edinburgh for the past 30 years. I was born in Nottingham but spent my childhood in various villages in the Vale of Belvoir, on the Nottinghamshire/Leicestershire border. Was in the merchant navy for 7 years – then 9 years in London before moving up here. I love it. The city itself and easy access to the most wonderful countryside and beaches. Oh and the climate isn’t nearly as bad as most people down south seem to think. No, really. We get plenty of warm weather, not too much rain (it generally gets dumped long before it reaches us) and the most glorious winters. I used to come up to do the Fringe long before we ever thought of moving here. My wife’s from the Highlands. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we might move up there one day. Who knows?

 

Where do you write? 

In my ‘shed’ at the bottom of the garden, which all children’s writers are contractually obliged to have. I say ‘shed’ in inverted commas because I get pretty sniffy if anyone ever calls it that. It’s a wooden office that we had designed and built when we moved to this house 10 years ago. Snug and warm in the winter. And decking and shade outside for the rest of the year. It’s actually quite big. It needs to be, in order to accommodate all my original vinyl, childhood books, Dinky and Matchbox vehicles, plus model trains. I don’t currently have a model railway, although I’d love to at some point. Might have to wait until our youngest finally moves out. If he ever does.

 

What for you is the ‘spirit of Scotland’? 

A nice 12-year old single malt from Islay. Oh, that kind of spirit? Not sure. Like I said, I’ve only actually lived here 30 years, so don’t feel particularly qualified to answer this question. Hmm. Dare I say something about a sense of independence, without getting too embroiled in politics? A sense of adventure? A sense of humour? A sense of welcoming and still being part of Europe? Oops. Better stop there!  


Has this spirit influenced your work? 

Honestly? Can’t say it has. Not yet anyway. Sorry. That’s a bit of a rubbish answer, isn’t it? I’ll get back to you.

 

Who for you are the great Scottish children’s writers? 

If you don’t mind, I’m going to take the 5th on this one. There are loads of great Scottish children’s writers – or Scottish-based writers(!) many of whom I’m lucky enough to know. And I don’t want to upset or offend anyone I might unwittingly fail to mention. Having said that, Robert Louis Stevenson is a son of Edinburgh. Then again, I didn’t know him personally. I’m old, but I’m not quite that old.

 

If you could be transported to anywhere in Scotland right now, where would it be? 

Oof. How long have you got? So many favourite places. Can’t even begin to list them. I’d be here all day. So instead I’m going to say the far north-east and Orkney. Why? Because I’ve never been there.

 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North & Scotland? 

 Well, for a start I’d like to see it getting much more recognition and wider coverage in the broadsheets down south! I’ve been lucky enough to be published by several of the ‘big’ publishers. But there are so many great independent publishers besides those guys, a few of which can be found here in Scotland. In fact I’ve just had my first picture book for twenty-one years published by the brilliant Little Door Books, but you’d never know it. Not that I’m bitter, you understand. OK, maybe I am, just a little bit.  Would just be nice if a few more people were aware of it, that’s all. It’s called Scaredy Bat, by the way.  Illustrated by the wonderful Anders Frang. And I’m extremely proud of it. There. I’ve said it.

 

Written by Jonathan Meres, illustrated by Anders Frang, published by Little Door Books

What's your favourite children's book set in Scotland? 

Kidnapped, by the aforementioned Mr Stevenson. And for precisely the same reason! 



You can find out more about Jonathan Meres at Jonathan Meres – Jonathan Meres and on Twitter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield