Northern Highlight - Laura Horsley

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

Laura Horsley, Editorial Director


Why did you want to work in the children's book industry?

I have always loved children’s books and come from a family of book lovers too. One of my early memories is going to the local library with my dad over the summer holidays and taking part in their reading challenges. I went on to study History and English Literature at the University of Glasgow and by far my favourite course was on British Children’s Literature.

I am very passionate about the roles children’s books have in empowering young readers, building confidence and sparking the imagination. Working in children’s publishing is quite possibly the best job I could have asked for. 

Tell us about where you live.

I moved from North-East London to Edinburgh during the third lockdown, which was a bit of a bizarre experience. But it’s been lovely to see the city come alive over the past few weeks. 

It’s hard not to feel inspired by a place like Edinburgh. It has such a great atmosphere, world-class museums, top restaurants, some cracking pubs and tons of history. But it’s the architecture and landscape that really makes it so unique and beautiful. Being able to see a city, a huge volcanic hill and the seaside out of the same window will never get old.

Where are you happiest working?

At the moment I’m happiest working at my desk at home – preferably with a warm cup of tea, plenty of snacks and wrapped up in a big jumper. But I am really looking forward to getting into our new Hachette Edinburgh office and having some real human company again! 


Who, for you, are the great Scottish children’s writers?

There are so many– from the classics of Robert Louis Stevenson and Kenneth Grahame to Mairi Hedderwick. But there are some great current and up-and-coming Scottish writers too. I devoured Elle McNicoll’s A Kind of Spark and I love Anna Doherty’s picture books.



Treasure Island (Alma Classics, 2015) - Island Stories (Red Fox Picture Books, 2010) - The Wind in the Willows (Digireads, 2004)
A Kind of Spark (Knights of, 2020) - The Brontës (Wren and Rook, 2019)

If you could be transported to anywhere in Scotland right now, where would it be? 

Ooh so many places. I would really like to go to the Orkney Isles and the Isle of Skye. I spent most of lockdown watching travel documentaries on BBC Alba (though my understanding of Gaelic hasn’t improved much) so I’m looking forward to hitting the road and doing some exploring. 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in Scotland?


My hope is that publishing will continue to break-out of the London bubble and connect with authors, illustrators, readers, booksellers and creatives across the UK – and not just in the cities but the outer-most corners. It’s important that everyone feels welcome and that readers are being reached everywhere. I’d love to see more diverse and representative children’s books that represent a range of experiences and culture around the UK and beyond too.

What's your favourite children's book set in Scotland?

There Was a Wee Lassie Who Swallowed a Midgie! Written by Rebecca Colby and illustrated by Kate McLelland. But I am currently really enjoying An Illustrated Treasury of Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales written by Theresa Breslin and illustrated by Kate Leiper.
There was a Wee Lassie who Swallowed a Midgie (Kelpies, 2014) - Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Floris Books, 2012)

You can follow Laura on Twitter and Instagram



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield