NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

Eleanor Cullen  

Why did you become a children’s writer?

I believe that the stories we read as children help shape who we are as adults. They teach us empathy and kindness and help us grow up believing in things, whether those things are magic or myths or simply the importance of being good people. 
 

They also have the chance to let kids see themselves, or people like them or different to them, be represented. This can prevent feelings of alienation when they find themselves in a room full of people who make them feel different, and can help them grow up with the knowledge that not everybody is like them, and that fact is something to be celebrated. 

Children’s books are so much more powerful than a lot of people realise, and I hope that I can be responsible for helping even just one child feel more seen, or less alone, with my books.

Tell us about where you live.

 I live in gorgeous New Brighton, which is my favourite part of the Wirral. It’s by the seaside and my house is just a few minutes away from the beach! There are lots of beautiful places near me, including a park full of fairy houses and a road where almost all of the buildings are covered in stunning artwork. I love to wander around with my dog or my friends, and there is always plenty of inspiration to be found wherever I end up. 

Where do you write?

 Most of the time I sit in my favourite corner of the couch in my living room. My laptop sits on the couch’s arm, and my cat (Daisy) sits in my lap. More often than not, my dog Harley rests his chin on my lap too! It can be quite tricky trying to type effectively with two animals demanding fuss, but the sound of Daisy purring and Harley snoring can be quite relaxing when I find myself stressing!

I have been known, however, to write full first drafts of picture books whilst tucked up in bed. I sometimes set myself a challenge to see how much I can write before it’s time to wake Harley and take him out, and some of my favourite ideas have been hurriedly typed in those situations on my phone!

Published by Pop Up Projects CIC
Cover designed by Txabi Jones

What for you is the ‘spirit of the North’?

 I believe it’s the idea that our stories are worth telling and our voices deserve to be heard. Often, people assume all the good storytellers are from London just because that’s where so much of the publishing industry is based, but that simply isn’t true. Great stories and storytellers can be found everywhere, which is something people in the North know all too well.

Has this spirit influenced your work?

 I would say, yes, since it has influenced my attitude to writing. It has assured me that I shouldn’t give up trying when it comes to getting my work into the hands of other people, and has given me the confidence to always keep writing no matter what. 

Who for you are the great northern children’s writers/illustrators?

 I might sound biased with this answer since he has illustrated my own book, but I’d say David Roberts. He pours so much love into his illustrations and writing, which shines through with everything he creates. He makes incredible use of his background in fashion by creating memorable, distinctive looks for characters through their clothing and style – whether these characters are mermen, cavemen or regular people – and I’m in awe of how he does it! I grew up reading the Dirty Bertie books he illustrated, and my editions of The Twins of St Clares books all feature his illustrations on the front cover.

The My Secret Unicorn book series meant a huge amount to me when I was young, so I would definitely say that Linda Chapman is a great Northern author too! She has written such a huge amount of books, and her characters are all so memorable.



If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?

 Though I have never visited there before, I’d love to be transported to The Lakes. Taylor Swift is one of my favourite writers in the world, as well as my favourite artist and one of the reasons why I became a writer, and she clearly has a lot of love for Windermere and its history. This love has made me very eager to witness the beauty of The Lake District for myself! I’d love to walk the same paths of some of England’s greatest poets and marvel at the beauty in every direction. Sitting under a particularly leafy tree in front of a lake, with just a notebook and a pen and the sounds of nature around me, sounds like utter heaven!

 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

 I’d love to see more publishing houses set up here, simply because so many are in London. I think lots of people in the North who want to break into the children’s publishing industry are too worried to try because they think being based here will make it too difficult. I was certainly one of those people before I won Pop Up Projects’ 10 Stories to Make a Difference competition. If it wasn’t for them believing in me and my story, I don’t know if I’d have had the courage to pursue this career, and I’m very fortunate to have been discovered by them. Even now as I navigate my next steps, however, I worry about approaching agents since so few seem to be based around here.

I’d also like to see more children’s books exploring the landscapes Scotland and the North have to offer. Think of the gorgeous illustrations!


What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

 I’m not sure if I could pick a favourite book set around here, but I always used to love the Katie Morag tales! I’d repeatedly borrow them from the classroom library when I was in infant school, and sometimes I would even sneakily read them in class. That was the closest I ever got to misbehaving, and I only did it because I loved how evocatively Mairi Hedderwick described her settings! When I was lost in the pages of her books, I truly felt like I’d left the classroom and was instead out adventuring with Katie.  

 


Find out more about Eleanor:

Twitter @EleanorRCullen

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield