Northern Highlight - Matt Goodfellow

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT 


Matt Goodfellow

Why did you become a writer?

I’m a failed rock star, basically. I studied English up to degree level, but all the while was the singer and one of the songwriters in an Indie band. When I was about 23 or 24, I realised the musical dream was never going to happen (mainly because I was a bit rubbish!) and put the guitar down. I needed a ‘proper’ job and so became a primary school teacher. Quite quickly into my teaching career, I began writing poems and songs with my classes and also took note of the visiting authors/poets we had in school. I gradually realised I wasn’t supposed to teach, I was supposed to write. As I started to get more and more poems published in anthologies, I went part time as a teacher and then a few years back left the profession behind for good.

Illustrated by Krina Patel-Sage, published by Otter-Barry Books

Tell us about where you live.

I was born in Withington, Manchester but have spent most of my life living in and around Cheadle. I like it – but one day will end up living a little cottage somewhere in the hills where I can watch the seasons change.

Where do you write? 

I have a little study at the front of the house where I work but also spend a lot of time in pubs and cafes where the energy of people around me can help fire up the ideas. 

Illustrated by Aleksei Bitskoff, published by Bloomsbury 

What for you is the 'spirit of the North'? 

I think everyone is a product of where they’re from – the North has always had rebellion and freedom and beauty. 

Has this spirit influenced your work? 

Absolutely. My Mum was from Sheffield and so a lot of my childhood was spent driving over the Pennines – the landscape and colour soaked into me. 

Who for you are the great northern children's writers? 

Alan Garner and David Almond are the two whose work stands out most for me. Masters of landscape.


You can follow Matt on Twitter and Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield