Northern Highlight - Stuart Atkinson

  NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

 STUART ATKINSON

Why did you become a children’s writer/illustrator?  

When I was a young amateur astronomer producing my astronomical society’s monthly newsletter, I was recommended to a publisher for a project by astronomer and broadcaster Heather Couper and they asked me to do it. I was amazed, and didn’t think I could do it, but I knew it was too good an opportunity to pass up so I dived in… 

Nine books later, I’m still loving writing and editing books about astronomy for kids, and starting to write fiction too. I’ve recently submitted my first middle-grade science fiction novel to agents. (Not scary at all...!!)

Published by Laurence King Publishing
Illustrated by Brendan Kearney
Designed by Claire Clewley 

Tell us about where you live.  

I live in the lovely Cumbrian town of Kendal (yes, where the mint cake comes from!) and it’s a great place for a writer because - when there isn’t a global pandemic on - it’s a very busy, vibrant, artistic place, with lots of festivals, societies and groups and, of course, the famous Brewery Arts Centre which is literally a minute’s walk from my front door. 

I live in a flat without a garden so my garden is 800 year-old Kendal Castle, which watches over “The Auld Grey Town” from a hilltop overlooking it. I go up there a lot to write and stargaze, and always find it a very moving and inspiring place.

 

Where do you write?  

Because I have a full-time job - I am a support worker in a care home - it’s been a very challenging year. I have limited time for writing so, to avoid distractions (TV, phone, Twitter, Netflix, attention-seeking rescue cat, Jess), I go to a local café to write there on my days off, sustained by Cumberland sausage sandwiches and coffee. That hasn’t been possible for the past year so I’ve had to write at home, which isn’t easy when you have a cat that shuts the lid of your laptop with her paw when she thinks you’ve been writing long enough and it’s time to give her some attention… 

I also love writing on holiday, especially up at Kielder Campsite in Northumberland, sitting outside our caravan scribbling away in a pad. It’s where I had the idea for my astronomy book A Cat’s Guide To The Night Sky – but that’s a long story…

 

What for you is the ‘spirit of the North'?  

Nothing mystical or tree-huggy, just determination. Just get on with it! Stop thinking and talking about it and just do it. Just… start. And then keep going.

Has this spirit influenced your work?  

I chase projects and put myself out there as much as I can, figuring that eventually someone will say "yes" and let me do The Next Thing.

Who for you are the great northern children’s writers?  

As a lover of animals and inspiring stories, I’m a huge fan of Kimberlie Hamilton, who has written three books about famous and not-so-famous 'Rebel Animals'. They’re all beautifully illustrated too.

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be? 

A great but very cruel question! I’d have to say standing beneath a clear starry sky on a remote, well-hidden beach on one of the Hebridean islands, on a chilly Autumn night, wrapped up against the cold, watching the northern lights swaying and rippling above me…

 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

More science and science fiction.

What's your favourite children's book set in the North? 

I’m going to be really cheeky here and say the one I’m writing now! Part of my second middle-grade science fiction novel is set on a Scottish island, and I think… I hope… readers will fall in love with the place when they read it. IF they read it! 

Find out more about Stuart at:

https://stuartatkinson.wordpress.com/writing/

Twitter: @Mars_stu





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield