Northern Highlight - Alice Bartosinski

 Northern Highlight

Alice Bartosinski

Why did you want to work in the children's book industry?

I loved reading as a child and used to max out my library card on every visit. Later on, I did an English Literature degree and found I kept gravitating towards children’s books when I was picking essay topics. There’s a sort of sense of wonder and curiosity in all good books for children that I’ve never found in quite the same way in books for grown-ups.

 

Tell us about where you live.

I live in Cumbria, where I grew up. Cumbria is GREAT. The people are friendly and relaxed, but also have a lot of energy and are very down to earth. The fell walking is amazing, though I endlessly complained about it as a young teenager. When you get high enough, the landscape sometimes changes so much you feel like you’re in another world, or on the moon.

 

Where are you happiest working?

I do love being in the office with my jolly and creative colleagues and friends. Working at home is nice in a different way – more focussed somehow, and it’s easier to concentrate on edits. I like to have a bit of music on while I’m working, which I know would drive a lot of editors mad! I find it very calming, though.

 

What for you is the 'spirit of the North'?

I’m not sure there is one. It’s massive! And so diverse. But I think people from ‘Oop North’ tend to be pretty open. They want to share their experiences and thoughts with you, even if you’re a stranger. People are often quite direct, too.

 

How does this spirit influence your work?

I like writing that is pretty direct! And seem to avoid anything too sentimental or flowery.

 

Who, for you, are the great northern children’s writers?

Beatrix Potter, of course! (And, at this point, I have to plug a book I worked on recently – Beatrix and Her Bunnies by Rebecca Colby and Caroline Bonne-Müller). She was born in London but settled in Cumbria. In terms of great writers and illustrators from the North who are actually alive and kicking, there are loads. I love the work of Helen Stephens. Her characterisation is fantastic. And she creates vivid scenes that you just want to step right into.  


By Rebecca Colby, illustrated by Caroline Bonne-Müller, published by Nosy Crow
 

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be? 

The top of Haystacks. I’ve never been, though I got pretty close to the summit once!

 

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

More books celebrating the people, landscapes and diversity of the North. More authors and illustrators from the North feeling empowered to share their stories and consider a career in writing and illustration.

 

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

Can I have a series set in Scotland? When I was little, I loved the Katie Morag books by Mairi Hedderwick. The stories and artwork have such a strong sense of place. I was fascinated by all the little details of life on a remote Scottish island – and still am.


By Mairi Hedderwick, published by Red Fox Picture Books


You can follow Alice on Twitter


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield