Northern Highlight - Alison Brown

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

ALISON BROWN

Why did you become a children’s writer/illustrator?

I will always be in awe of people who can tell a story - that is, who can just start talking and hold an audience. That eloquence is a talent I don’t have, but I discovered that I have more of a fluency when it comes to combining words and pictures. It’s a privilege to write and illustrate a story that someone wants to read, and there’s a responsibility to find a way to be truthful and open. For me it’s always in the way that the words and images relate to each other.

Tell us about where you live.

I’m an adopted Northerner - I come from County Down in Northern Ireland. I live in Leeds, but have also lived in Manchester and Liverpool, and I love them all! They are grand old cities which enjoyed magnificent heydays, suffered decline and then grew back in new, unexpected ways by welcoming diverse people and ideas.

Written by Tony Mitton, designed by Zoe Waring, published by Bloomsbury
 

Where do you write/illustrate?

I am desperate for, but haven’t yet achieved, “a room of one’s own”. The room where I paint is also where the kids hang out and eat lunch. My computer and scanner are currently in the bedroom, due to lockdown reconfigurations.

I write and sketch in a notebook, wherever there’s the comfiest chair, the best light and a hopefully a bit of quiet. When I finally get a room of my own I'll be able to get paint all over the floor and will never have to tidy up after myself!

Designed by Grahame Lyus, published by Little Tiger Press

What for you is the ‘spirit of the North’?

It’s very hard to answer this question without falling into all the stereotypes! But I might just suggest one thing: a sense of acceptance - of fate or luck or the power of nature - a kind of lack of control. That sounds negative but I think it’s the opposite. It means that to be happy, there doesn’t have to be good things happening all the time. The balance tips towards satisfaction in the work itself, and not necessarily in the outcome, whether it's success, wealth or glory.

 Has this spirit influenced your work?

One aspect is about taking the creative life seriously, as work. I remember at art college in Manchester being taught by a couple of old (to me) northern artists. They told us, “Put in your 9-5 hours in the studio, then go home, have your tea, take an hour off, and start work again.” I was a bit taken aback at this less than bohemian version of student life, but I think I absorbed it, and it’s been useful. You can’t always wait for the inspiration.

The "spirit of the north" is also about the wonder of the less obvious things. The landscapes here can be dramatic, but often the beauty is subtle. Things like a grey sea, a granite boulder, or a dale where you’re resigned to the fact that the fog isn't going to lift all day.

Written by Smriti Prasadam-Halls, designed by Zoe Waring, published by Bloomsbury

Who for you are the great northern/Scottish children’s writers/illustrators?

They don’t necessarily set their stories here, but these are some of my favourite writers and illustrators who come from Scotland and the North.

  • Anthony Browne, for bringing so much beauty, humour and surrealism to his stories.
  • Debi Gliori, for understanding and engaging so imaginatively with the smallest children and their biggest emotions.
  • Frank Cottrell-Boyce, for gripping storytelling and never hesitating to embrace a completely bonkers idea.
  • Jackie Kay, for communicating unique experiences so powerfully and with such a beautiful voice.

 If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?

So many places to choose from, but right now it would be Beadnell Bay in Northumberland. The enormous sky and the sense of space would be the ultimate antidote to my lockdown cabin fever.

Written by Debi Gliori, designed by Kristina Coates, published by Bloomsbury

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

One thing is already happening - this fantastic source of support and connection for northern writers, illustrators and publishers.

I’d like to see children’s publishing offer opportunities to lots of young writers, illustrators and aspiring publishing professionals to launch their careers.

And I’d love to see loads of support for all the amazing northern literature festivals to reach bigger and wider audiences.

 What's your favourite children's book set in the North/Scotland?

The Beasts of Clawstone Castle by Eva Ibbotson, because it transports me straight to Northumberland, the Scottish borders and Holy Island (although I still haven’t met a real Chillingham cow).

I’d love to read a children’s book in a really strong northern or Scots dialect - like a PG-rated Trainspotting for kids. If anyone has a recommendation, I’d love to hear it!


You can find Alison online: www.aliscribble.com / Insta / Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield