Northern Highlight - Richard O'Neill

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT


   Richard O'Neill

Why did you become a children’s writer/illustrator?  

I've always loved books as well as stories. When I started going into schools 15 years ago children and teachers would ask if the stories I told were in books, and it made sense to put some of the stories in books, so they could travel even further. 

The Lost Homework published by Child's Play International, illustrated by Kirsti Beautyman

Tell us about where you live.

I live in a former mill town in Lancashire called Bury, which has been my base for a number of years, it's a great place, very much reminds me of the Northeast where I was born and brought up.

Taken from Ossiri and the Bala Mengo by Richard O'Neill and Katharine Quarmby, illustrated by Hannah Tolson. Published by Child's Play International

Where do you write? 

Anywhere I can, on the sofa, on park benches, in the caravan, in cafe's, in schools with children. I've also been known to write in the old Romani wagon too. 

What for you is the ‘spirit of the North?

A passion for life, hard work and seeing the best in people. 

Has this spirit influenced your work?

Hugely, I write about ordinary people and ordinary situations which are actually far from ordinary when you really take the time to look and listen. I write about marginalised people who have also played their part in creating the North as we know it and need to be acknowledged and included. 

Yokki and the Parno Gry by Richard O'Neill and Katharine Quarmby, illustrated by Marieke Nelissen 

Who for you are the great northern writers?

As a child I read every book I could get my hands on, my mother was a big Catherine Cookson fan and I read every one she bought. One of my sisters was a huge Ted Hughes fan and I got her cast offs too.

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?

I'd go back to my first primary school and say thank you to the teacher who taught me to write my first words and sentences.

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

The same as I'd like to see from all publishing, that writers from under-represented  groups are given more support. If we truly want people from marginalised groups to feel like they belong we need writers from those groups to feel like they belong too.

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines - it has so many key elements of the North and an authenticity that in my opinion has never been equalled or bettered.

They beat him, they deprived him, they ridiculed him, they broke his heart, but they couldn't break his spirit.

So powerful and much needed reminder of who we are in the North. 

You can follow Richard on Twitter 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield