Northern Highlight - Polly Noakes

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

POLLY NOAKES

Why did you become an author-illustrator?

I was lucky to grow up in a very creative family where it was expected we would go to into the Arts and at 14 I knew I wanted to be an illustrator. So I followed my sisters to Cambridge School of Art and enrolled on its newly created illustration course. In 2012 - many years later, after a career break - I returned to study on its  MA in Children’s Book Illustration, led by Martin Salisbury (who taught me the first time too!) and haven't looked back.

 

Hide and Seek, published by Child’s Play International. Cover design by Annie Kubler. 

A Present for Rosy, written by Jonathan Emmett, published by Walker Books, designed by Charlie Moyler.

Tell us about where you live.

I recently followed my heart and moved to North Yorkshire, buying a fairly isolated cottage on top of a hill with incredible views. It's situated at the end of a long narrow track, yet is accessible to  Harrogate, York and Leeds, so I have the best of both worlds.

 

Where do you work?

My studio was originally the cottage boot room and has gorgeous views. often with sheep grazing outside to watch. Even though the wind swirls around outside, it’s very cosy and warm. I knew instantly it was perfect for my studio when we viewed the cottage.

 

Polly in new studio with Bertie


What for you is the 'spirit of the North’?

The north has a very strong sense of community and resilience. Dog walks can often take longer than expected as people really are very friendly and the pace of life is definitely more relaxed, especially where we live. There is also a down-to-earth, no-nonsense attitude and resilience which I admire. Physically – the raw wildness and space is stunning. It’s an incredibly beautiful place to live and it takes my breath away every day, even in the rain!

 

Has this spirit influenced your work?

Living here has certainly enriched my illustration and creative process, especially with the current book I am illustrating for Bloomsbury Children’s Books. My work is looser – expressing the sense of freedom I feel since moving up here. I am very inspired by the landscape I walk in daily and which often triggers new ideas. My work is very textural and I collect natural objects on my walks that I then rub with crayons to use in my illustrations, so you could say the spirit of Yorkshire is in my work!

 

Development sketch for new book

Who for you are the great northern authors/illustrators?

I really admire Helen Stephens' picture books and her attitude to her working practice too. Her work has a gorgeous spirit to it and authenticity, which speaks to the heart. Another favourite is York-based illustrator Emily Sutton, whose delicate illustrations are so full of detail, with a wonderful sense of place in them.

 

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?

Here, in Nidderdale where I live! I still keep pinching myself that I am not on holiday and won't be driving down the A1, back south with a sad heart.

Polly's studio door (and neighbours!)

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?

I am excited about what is evolving already with CBN and the pace it is growing. I love the fact that bigger publishing houses and new literary agents are branching out of London and seeking out northern talent. For new illustrators to travel to London and show work (pre-lockdown) is financially prohibitive and logistically difficult. Even though I have a brilliant agent, while I was building my career (both times) I could access London easily and it was vital, so access to the industry in the North is important. I would like to see even more London-based publishing houses opening offices up here, illustration exhibitions and workshops/seminars. In the future, how about a book fair?

 

Illustration from Dare, written by Lorna Gutierrez, published by Tiny Owl Publishing Ltd

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?

I have two books I loved as a child and that probably fed my connection to Yorkshire. Not very original, but The Railway Children and The Secret Garden have always resonated with me - the characters discovered a sense of freedom and community in these books. They also found a connection with nature and the countryside of Yorkshire, something I feel strongly.


 

You can follow Polly Noakes on Instagram and Twitter, or find out more at her website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield