Northern Highlight - Melvin Burgess

 NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT


Melvin Burgess

1. Why did you become a writer/illustrator?

 

I always wanted to write books because I love stories. I started lying at a very early age and I've never looked back. These days, I do it professionally.

 

2. Tell us about where you live.

 

I live in the beautiful Calder Valley in West Yorkshire. We have great views along the valley and a big garden where I like to grow fruit, veg and flowers, and that I try to make into a good home for as many creatures as I possibly can.

 

3. Where do you work?

 

We moved only recently, so I work in the kitchen at the moment. But soon I'm getting an office outside in the garden, which is my favourite place to work.


4. What for you is the 'spirit of the North'?

 

I think of the spirit of the north as a kind cross between a rock troll and an elf. Her and him are tough and kind, they like a drink, don’t mind the rain, they’re very committed to their strange hobbies and are considering independence from London.


Published by Andersen Press
 

5. Has this spirit influenced your work?


Very often.


6. Who for you are the great Northern writers or illustrators?


Robert Westal, David Almond, Alan Garner, Ted Hughes, Tony Ross and the wonderful Chris Mould.


7. If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?


Right here where I live.


8. What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?


More books set locally in the north.


9. What's your favourite children's/YA book set in the North/Scotland?


Skellig by David Almond


Published by Andersen Press


You can follow Melvin on Twitter @MelvinBurgess and find out more at melvinburgess.net



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield