Special Guest Northern Highlight - Sarah Tyson

Special Guest Northern Highlight


Sarah Tyson, Books Up North

Why did you want to work in the book industry?
Really, I fell into it by voluntarily forming a grassroots Book Festival for my rural community with a group of likeminded bookworms. Since then I have observed the social, educational and cultural benefits to be gained by individuals, families and communities from live literary events. Books Up North was established because I have an enthusiasm for reading and a love for books which I enjoy sharing so that more writers can become known to readers in libraries, schools, independent bookshops and at arts festivals. I encourage reluctant readers of all ages to discover the pleasure that can be gained from discovering the right book for them and I am inspired by all the creative people I have been fortunate enough to support and work with.


Tell us about where you live.
Malton in Ryedale, North Yorkshire

Where do you do most of your work?
I have a delicious room in my home lined with shelves that are groaning with books, as I never converted to eBook format. At my desk I feel as though I am surrounded by old friends!

What for you is the 'spirit of the North’?
Genuineness. Gritty determination. Grounded values. Imaginations influenced by Nature and both rural and industrial landscapes.

How has this spirit influenced your work?
I think that in the North most of us have access to space. I consider this to be a luxury because the capacity to move around relatively easily (not stuck in a traffic jam) somehow allows fluidity of ideas and the opportunity to seek and find head space in the hills or the at the coast; both wonderful environments for inspiration or reflection. Well, I find that big skies give my ideas a chance to breathe anyway! Collaborating with people who are open-minded and friendly, who don’t mind my plain-speaking, is an absolute joy and a hugely rewarding experience for me.

Who for you are the great northern writers?
The Bronte Sisters, Simon Armitage, Pat Barker, Alan Bennett to name a few of my favourites. For children I believe that David Almond’s stories will stand the test of time and there are so many wonderful illustrators in the North - off the top of my head: Tim Hopgood, Lydia Monks & Helen Stephens

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?
Cayton Bay (a frequently deserted beach between Scarborough and Filey used mostly by dogwalkers and surfers).

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North? Cohesion – more joined-up thinking so people have a stronger sense of the quality, quantity and rich diversity of contemporary talent we have in the North.  Childrens Books North is a fantastic platform for children’s writers, illustrators and poets to be visible together.

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?
The Railway Children by E. Nesbit



You can read more about Sarah and Books Up North at www.booksupnorth.com
Twitter @BooksUpNorth


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield