Northern Highlight - Lindsay Littleson



NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT



LINDSAY LITTLESON

1.  Why did you become a writer?
I began writing stories when I was a child and always assumed I’d be an author when I grew up. But it took me a very long time to get around to it! It wasn’t until six years ago, when I’d been teaching for 25 years, that I thought I’d better start writing a book or it was never going to happen. So, I wrote ‘The Mixed-Up Summer of Lily McLean’ and entered the novel for the 2014 Kelpies Prize. My book won, was published by Floris Books in 2015, and I’ve been writing non-stop ever since in an effort to make up for lost time. 

Cover design and publication by Floris Books
    
2.    Tell us about where you live.
For 20 years, I’ve lived in the small village of Uplawmoor, a few miles from Glasgow. It’s perfect, as it’s rural and pretty, but is relatively close to the buzz of city life. Sometimes I think about moving somewhere more isolated, but if lockdown has taught me anything, it’s that I love cafes, shops and the cinema. 

3. Where do you write?
When I took early retirement from teaching, I decided to remove all the furniture from my dining room and re-purpose it as writing room. (I’m a terrible cook so nobody’s going to be sorry if I never hold another dinner party). My writing room brings me great pleasure. It’s cosy and quiet and has a lovely view of the garden. Sadly, I’ve held onto my tendency to procrastinate, which I should have chucked away with my dining table. 

4. What for you is the 'spirit of the North’?
Friendliness and a sense of community.  

5. Has this spirit influenced your work?
Both my publishers, Floris Books and Cranachan Books, are based in Scotland and their children’s authors are all very supportive of one another. There is brilliant sense of community, which is particularly valuable in these challenging times.

6. Who for you are the great northern writers?
David Almond is both a wonderful writer and an inspiring speaker. He is definitely one of the greats!

7. If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?
I’d love to go for a cycle around the Isle of Cumbrae, preferably on a warm, sunny day. Afterwards I’d head for the Ritz Café near the pier and have a marshmallow ice-cream. Then I’d take the ferry back to the mainland and have fish and chips at Nardini’s in Largs. That’s my idea of a perfect day. 

8. What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?
I’d like to see stronger links forged between Scotland and the North of England. We’re not too far away from each other and it would be good to get together regularly. 

9. What's your favourite children's book set in the North?
The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe was the first historical novel I read and enjoyed as a child. It showed me that the stories set in the past can be exciting and entertaining and sparked an interest in history that has stayed with me. 


Published by Oxford University Press

You can find Lindsay on Twitter @ljlittleson and Instagram @lindsaylittleson
www.lindsaylittleson.co.uk/

Other books by Lindsay Littleson:
Designed by Anne Glennie. Published by Cranachan Publishing
Illustrated by Samantha Woo, designed by Leah McDowel
Published by Floris Books




   
                             







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield