Northern Highlight - Rebecca Colby

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT
REBECCA COLBY

Why did you become a writer?
The short answer is because it was always part of my composition. The long answer is because when my eldest was a baby, she was a little monkey and wouldn’t let me sleep! She woke me five or six times a night, and while I fed her, I would write. 
 
I’d always written things, but I didn’t see writing as a viable profession. Nor did I think I could eventually write a full-sized book. Then this baby came along. I read picture books to her before she understood them—from the point when all she wanted to do was chew on their corners. And the more I read to her, the more I told myself that I could write these short books. So I did.

Short books are very deceptive. They aren’t as easy to write as I thought, but seven years and approximately 140 rejections later... an agent and a publisher took a chance on me.

Published by Kelpies. Illustrated by Kate McLelland    

 
I have since gone on to write 30 more books. My most recent book, illustrated by Tom Froese, is The Castle the King Built. It is a unique take on the classic rhyme, This is the House that Jack Built. It features castle workers, and includes masons, blacksmiths, minstrels, merchants, grooms, knights and bakers, amongst others. 
 
Published by Nosy Crow. Illustrated byTom Froese

 

Tell us about where you live.
Home is where the heart is and home has been Yorkshire for the last 18+ years. Previous to that, I moved around a lot—various states in the US, Spain, Taiwan and London.

But Yorkshire has gotten under my skin. It has beautiful scenery, amazing heritage, fantastic and welcoming, down-to-earth people and great food. It’s brilliant here!  

Pixabay | TimHill
 
Where do you work?
Like many authors, I work from home. Some days I work at my kitchen table, some days from bed, some days from a stationary bike with a laptop tray and, in nice weather, from a picnic table in my garden.

I don’t tend to work from coffee shops as I find it distracting— not only because there’s too much cake on offer!

What for you is the 'spirit of the North’?
The people, their pride in who they are, their sense of community and their generosity. Get outside some of the larger centres and people will bend over backwards for each other. It’s unusual in this day and age and great to see.

Has this spirit influenced your work?
I’m not sure it has influenced my work so much as my mindset. I try to be generous with my knowledge and experience, as many other writers have been with me. And joining groups like CBN, ensures my work and mindset are further influenced by a sense of community and pride in children’s books going forward.  But dare I add, that the weather might have influenced one of my books…

Published by Feiwel and Friends. Illustrated by Steven Henry 

Who for you are the great Northern/Scottish children's writers or illustrators?
My favourite book has long been Debi Gliori’s picture book about unconditional love entitled No Matter What. I own no less than three copies of it so I have signed copies for both of my children and one for myself!

In some ways, I feel a bit of a fraud answering this question as I don’t pay attention to where the authors and illustrator that I love live. I’m partial to living in Yorkshire but when it comes to children’s books, I just enjoy good writing and aren’t as aware of Northern and/or Scottish writers as I could be. I’m hoping being a member of CBN will change that! 

Published by Bloomsbury Children's Books
 
If you could be transported to anywhere in the North or Scotland right now,
where would it be?
Anywhere? Ooh, I know just the place. Please wave your wand and send me to the Orkneys. I’m not bothered as to which island but I’d love to go back and walk the beaches. I have fond memories of collecting seashells, visiting prehistoric sites, observing HUNDREDS of seals and watching sheep slurp down seaweed like lasagne sheets (no joke!). The Orkney Islands are a magical location.

Pixabay | dpbueroservice
 
What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?
More opportunities to network and to develop a local publishing community. The publishing community is primarily London-centric. There are groups in the North but finding opportunities, attending workshops, meeting editors, etc, generally means a trip South. Nothing against London. I love visiting London but other areas of media are developing up North and successfully, and so should the publishing industry, in my opinion.

What's your favourite children's book set in the North?
The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. While not specifically set in the North, it’s a classic associated with the Lake District and takes much of its inspiration from that setting.

Published by Warne                                     Published by Nosy Crow. Illustrated by Caroline Bonne Muller

My new book takes its inspiration from this much-beloved author. Beatrix and Her Bunnies is illustrated by Caroline Bonne-Müller and was written in consultation with The National Trust. It tells the true story of how Beatrix Potter brought her pet rabbits, Peter and Benjamin, to life in her writing. 

You can find Rebecca on Twitter @amscribbler


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield