Northern Highlight - Katherine Woodfine

Northern Highlight

Copyright Tom Pilston
Katherine Woodfine


1.  Why did you become a writer?
I can’t really remember a time when I wasn’t writing. I’ve always loved books, and as a child whenever I wasn’t reading, I was busy keeping diaries, making up plays for my friends to perform, or writing endless stories.

I always thought I would write literary fiction, and it took me a while to work out that what I really wanted to write was children’s books. It wasn’t until I was in my late 20s, when I started writing the book which would eventually become my debut, The Clockwork Sparrow, that I really hit my stride - and then I knew I’d found what I wanted to do. 

Published by Egmont
Cover illustration by Julia Sarda


2. Tell us about where you live.
I grew up in Lancashire, but left to go to university. I moved around for a while, living in Bristol and Manchester, before spending nearly 10 years in London. A couple of years ago I made my way back north and I now live in Lancaster. I didn’t really appreciate it when I lived here as a teenager and couldn't wait to leave - but now I think it’s a brilliant place to live. It’s a small historic city, surrounded by stunning countryside, with a thriving university which attracts people from all over the world. You can whizz down the West Coast mainline and be in London in 2.5 hours - and we’ve got several bookshops and brilliant local coffee! What more do you need!

Published by Barrington Stoke

3. Where do you write? 
I’m still yet to set up a proper workspace at home, so at the moment I mostly write at the kitchen table while my 18-month-old has her afternoon nap, or (outside of lockdown) in a nearby coffee shop.

4. What for you is the ‘spirit of the North’?
Friendliness. After living in London where strangers rarely chat or pass the time of day, I really value that. On the whole I think northerners tend to be more down-to-earth — and there’s definitely a particular northern sense of humour.

Published by Barrington Stoke

5. Has this spirit influenced your work?
I hope so! And whilst I haven’t written much that’s set in the north so far, I’d love to do so in the future. 

6. Who for you are the great northern writers?
Alan Garner comes to mind straight away. And living on the edge of the Lake District, I have to mention Beatrix Potter. My little girl is just starting to get interested in her books and it’s been a joy rediscovering them again.

7. If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be? 
I’d love to have a mooch around Edinburgh: an ice-cream at Mary’s Milk Bar or a cardamom bun from Peter’s Yard, a browse in Golden Hare Books and a stroll up to Arthur’s Seat.

Published by Egmont

8. What would you like to see from children’s publishing in the North?
It would be great to see more children’s publishers becoming more open to the idea of working outside London. We’re beginning to see publishers opening up offices in Manchester and elsewhere, and I think that’s really exciting - especially because it will hopefully help to create a more diverse workforce, and ultimately mean we see a wider range of voices and perspectives in children’s books.

9. What’s your favourite children’s book set in the North?
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It captures wild and windswept northern landscapes so brilliantly. If you haven’t read it since you were a child I highly recommend revisiting it: it feels like exactly the right book to read at the moment.

 Follow Katherine Twitter @followtheyellow Instagram followtheyellow




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield