Northern Highlight - Joseph Lamb

Northern Highlight

Photographer Maggie Barclay

Joseph Lamb

1. Why did you become a writer/illustrator?

I’ve written ever since I was VERY young! I don't know if I ‘became’ a writer, or just wrote because I wanted to. I like reading other people’s stories and wanted to write some of my own.
  
2. Tell us about where you live.
I live in Dundee, Scotland. In a ‘Regenerated’ “Village” where I used to live as a child when it was a sprawling housing scheme. 

3. Where do you work?
As an author, I write wherever I can, but I DO get an awful lot of work done in the “Olympia” cafe at Dundee Leisure Centre.

4. What for you is the 'spirit of the Scotland’?
I see the spirit of the North being quite Nordic in places, which isn’t too unusual given our ancient history. I see us as an honourable, but proud people. And mess with one of us, and you mess with us all!

5. Has this spirit influenced your work?
Without a doubt. I do tend to find I have written some strong bonds between ‘ordinary’ people in my books. I usually write about things not too far removed from the norm, even though I have written historical and science fiction stories!

6. Who for you are the great Scottish writers or illustrators?
I have to say that Charlotte McIntosh is a lovely illustrator, so much so I used her work for my first children’s novel, “The God of All Small Boys”.

As for writers... it is VERY difficult to chose one from the many amazing authors out there. And I am friend’s with a few, so I don't want to exclude anyone!

So, for anyone reading this – just read as MANY different authors as you can – and remember... “Celebrity” doesn’t mean “Wonderful”! There are some stunning books out there by ‘next-to-unknown’ authors.



Published by Cranachan Publishing
Cover design by Joseph Lamb / Anne Glennie
Illustrated by Charlotte McIntosh

  
7. If you could be transported to anywhere in Scotland right now, 
where would it be?
Orkney. For all my years here (56) I have never been to the far Northern Isles.
I harbour a DEEP desire to see Deerness – so much so I have an as yet unpublished novel based around it.

8. What would you like to see from children's publishing in Scotland?
More focus on ‘breakthrough’ authors by the large book festivals.
  
9. What's your favourite children's book set in Scotland?
Again, there are SO many of these... So I will just chose the last one I read which was based solely IN Scotland, which was “Wilderness Wars” by Barbara Henderson from Cranachan Publishing.

Published by Cranachan Publishing
Cover design by Anne Glennie

You can follow Joseph on Twitter and Instagram @JoeCovenant




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield