Northern Highlight - Holly Sterling


NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

HOLLY STERLING



1. Why did you become a writer/illustrator?

I loved reading as a child. I was always fascinated by characters in books and their relationships with others. Even when I was very young, I would draw from the poems/stories in my books, creating my own visual interpretation. This translated into my art/illustration as I went through school. I enjoyed the idea of taking characters on a journey, which was inspired by people/events in my life. 

Becoming a children's book illustrator was something that I dreamed of from a young age, but I didn't ever think that I would end up writing my own stories. A very dear friend and mentor, Vivian French, encouraged me to write when I was studying my masters degree at Edinburgh College of Art (Edinburgh University), and things went on from there...

Published by Walker Books
Designed by Ines Amaral



2. Tell us about where you live.
I live in Sunderland. I moved here from Dover in Kent to study Illustration and Design at Sunderland University in 2006. Beforehand, I spent many school holidays visiting friends up here and I fell in love with the area. There is so much to explore with a beautiful coastline, amazing countryside and vibrant cities so close by. People are so warm and friendly here too, which is something that I have always loved!


3. Where do you write/illustrate? 

A couple of years ago we started renovating our loft. This is now my lovely studio space which is filled with light! Even though an idea might come to me when I'm out and about, this is the space where I'll sit down a plan things out. 


4. What for you is the 'spirit of the North’?
For me, as an adopted northerner, I recognise the 'spirit of the North’ as being honest, passionate and proud. I love that! I also think that there is a very strong sense of community in the North; it's very noticeable to my family when they come to visit. One of my sisters even moved up here a few years ago after feeling the warm and welcoming vibes.


5. Has this spirit influenced your work?

Absolutely. Being honest, passionate and proud are strong qualities that I like to project in my own characters. I hope that the children reading my books will grow up to be so, themselves.




Published by Frances Lincoln Children's Books


6. Who for you are the great northern writers?
I have a couple of favourites in Vivian French, Helen Stephens and Sara Ogilvie (as a visual storyteller). They all create amazing characters who you truly believe in and support!

7. If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be? 
I would visit Edinburgh. Spending two years in the city whilst staying for my Masters degree was so special and I feel so happy when I step off the train at Waverley Station. 

8. What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?
It has been great connecting with so many new faces, even through online socials! I would love to see if we could have some sort of collaborative project - something celebratory of the North. Maybe it could lead to an exciting publication...

9. What's your favourite children's book set in the North?
When I moved up North,I was introduced to Oor Wullie by my father-in-law, who has collected Oor Wullie and The Broons comics and publications for many, many years. 

Published by D.C.Thomson & Co Ltd

Maw Broon's Cookbook is a definite favourite too with a nostalgic collection 
of recipes collated into an intelligently designed book.
Published by Waverley Books Ltd


You can follow Holly on:
Twitter @holly_sterling
Insta hollysterling87




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield