Northern Highlight - Helen Shoesmith

NORTHERN HIGHLIGHT

Helen Shoesmith



Helen Shoesmith

Why did you become an illustrator?
When I was a child my mum would treat me to a book at the weekend. I used to love going to the bookshop or the library, I was a real bookworm! I loved getting home with a new book and spending hours poring over the illustrations and details. I would then draw my own little characters and make stories with them. It's an absolute dream to be able to call this my job. It's the only thing I've ever wanted to do.

Tell us about where you live.
I live in a village called Blacko in Lancashire and our house is at the top of a very windy hill! I feel very blessed to be surrounded by beautiful countryside & can see right across to Pendle Hill which is famous for its witches!

To be published by Oxford University Press February 2021

Where do you write/illustrate?
During school hours I usually illustrate from my little desk in the spare room. Out of school hours, the perk of working on the iPad means that I can pretty much work where my children are, whether that is at the swimming baths, the dining table or in the garden!

What for you is the ‘spirit of the North’?
I’d like to think that we’re a friendly bunch up here and have a great sense of humour! 

Has this spirit influenced your work?
I’d say so...I think my work has a quiet sense of humour. I absolutely love detail so I like to include funny little bits in the illustrations. Of course that depends on whether the subject allows for humour!

Published by Simon & Schuster Children's

Who for you are the great northern writers?
Dodie Smith for classic 'The Hundred and One Dalmatians'.
Jarvis for 'Alan's Big Scary Teeth' - I have lost count how many times my children have asked me to read this. They love it!
Sheryl Webster - who wrote the very lovely story about 'One Little Bird' (illustrated my me). It will be published in February 2021.The story addresses environmental issues that could feel overwhelming while always remaining focused on hope.

If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?
The Lake District. I absolutely love it there. My parents used to have a caravan and we would go most weekends. It’s such a beautiful place, nothing beats a good walk in beautiful surroundings to blow away the cobwebs!  It’s the best way to recharge your batteries.

Published by Faber & Faber

What would you like to see from children’s publishing in the North? 
Just to do exactly what you are trying to do … bring together writers & illustrators in the North!
I love the children's book community in London but it isn’t exactly on the doorstep ... it would be so lovely to have that a little closer to home.

What’s your favourite children’s book set in the North?
Being a lover of the Lakes it’s got to be Peter Rabbit!


You can find Helen on Twitter and Instagram  @helen_shoesmith



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield