Northern Highlights - Caryl Hart


NORTHERN HIGHLIGHTS


CARYL HART


Why did you become a writer?
After my first child was born, we spent a lot of time in our local library in Sheffield and we read some GREAT books! We spent many happy hours reading both in the library and back at home. Books were a fundamental part of our lives and we read during the day, at bedtime, at potty time, at mealtimes, during nappy changing, in the car you name it! 
We always had a book on the go.  

But I also read some poor-quality books and, one day, I came home from the library and said to my husband, "I could do better than that!". He replied, "Go on then..." and that's what got me started. Of course, I soon realised that writing picture books is a lot harder than it seems, but I kept going, and seven years later I got my first deals.
  
                 Illustrated by Sarah Horne                      Illustrated by Leigh Hodgkinson
Published by Hachette Children's Group


Tell us about where you live
We moved out to the Peak District when my daughter was two and I was expecting my second child. We lived in a tiny village on top of a windy hill for around 17 years. Now we are back in Sheffield in an amazing, diverse neighbourhood that has a really wonderful community. I thought I might feel isolated coming back to the city from a small village, but it's actually been the opposite. Within six months I'd got to know around half the people on my street. We have a WhatsApp group for our road where we all ask for help, share what we have, and entertain each other. 

I also thought I'd miss the countryside but I can set off on a run from our front door and be out in the Peaks in 20 minutes, so the countryside is still very accessible. Sheffield is a very green city and there are loads of lovely walks within a few minutes drive from our house, so I feel really lucky that I have the best of both worlds.

Where do you write?
I'm set up in the box room in our house, overlooking the street. It's snug but I have everything I need. When we lived in the Peak District, I used to write in cafes two or three days a week just to be amongst human beings. But now I don't really feel the need to go out because I have people all around me.

What for you is the ‘spirit of the North’?
For me, there are two things. The first is community. I work in a lot of schools, both in this region and nationally, and I see so much community spirit in this area. I've been to schools that provide breakfast every day for all the children AND their parents because so many children here are living below the poverty line. I work with libraries who are doing great outreach work within their communities to help bring people in to access all the support services the councils provide. I live on a street where almost everyone is socially active in one way or another.  

The second brilliant thing about living here is the great outdoors! Sheffield is known as the outdoor city and has a culture of exercise and keeping fit. You can't go anywhere without seeing people out running, walking or cycling. When we're not in lockdown, I walk 4-5 miles every morning though woodland, fields and moorland. It helps keep me sane and makes me feel grateful every single day.
  
Has this spirit influenced your work?
I've been working with Tameside Libraries for the past three years on a community project that has brought hundreds of new people into the library service. We work with families across the borough to create picture books. Over the past two years, the project has been funded by Community Safety and we have created a book about the emergency services and another about celebrating diversity within our communities.

It's been a great project and I've just heard that we'll be continuing next year too.



If you could be transported to anywhere in the North right now, where would it be?
I'd probably go to Froggatt Edge (Peak District) because it's got fantastic views and you can pretend you're flying!

What would you like to see from children's publishing in the North?
I think getting together with other authors and illustrators in our area would be great. 
There's nothing like meeting face-to-face for sparking new ideas. It would also be great to be able to see editors here more frequently to develop new projects.

What’s your favourite children's book set in the north?
Stanley's Stick! by John Hegley and Neal Layton.
I love John Hegley's live performances and Neal Layton is one of my favourite illustrators, so it's the perfect combo. And it's set in Stockport! What a great book!

Published by Hachette Children's Group

You can find Caryl on Twitter @carylhart1and on Instagram carylhart



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mentor Scheme 2024 - Applications Open

Looking North: The Children's Books North Directory

Northern Highlights - Jenny Bloomfield